Linux's own BSOD. We need to get it out into the open!

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux

Postby davecs » Tue May 17, 2005 11:23 am

davecs wrote:I've put back "nvidia" in my xorg.conf and am running in 3D at present. Just to see how long it lasts!

Last night during a game of Frozen Bubble! As FB goes full screen and does not use the mouse, I could not know whether the mouse would have been moving or not.
davecs
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux

Postby doctorflange » Tue May 17, 2005 5:10 pm

I've never had any trouble with the stock nvidia 3D drivers in either *buntu or mandr*
Signature license here. Background by Michele Valentinuz. Source.
doctorflange

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux

Postby smita034 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:27 am

I aint had a single problem with the lateist masked nvidia one on gentoo (1.0.7174-r4 i belive) and I hammer the drivers playing Command and Conquer - Zero Hour and CS:S in Wine-X, aint had it hang up once. Weird.
Alex A. Smith
99% of all computer problems occur between the chair and keyboard
smita034

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux

Postby davecs » Wed May 18, 2005 2:44 pm

smita034 wrote:I aint had a single problem with the lateist masked nvidia one on gentoo (1.0.7174-r4 i belive ...

I have!
davecs
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Linux

Postby smita034 » Thu May 19, 2005 8:47 am

lol, weird, I wonder what causes that then :?
Alex A. Smith
99% of all computer problems occur between the chair and keyboard
smita034

Postby davecs » Fri May 20, 2005 9:18 am

The weight of opinion is that there is a bug in X, which is difficult to trace because it cannot be reliably duplicated. It seems to affect only certain computers and may relate to certain hardware only. Also the lockup is very rare when running 2D drivers like "nv", but happens more often when running accelerated 3D (nividia and ati for example).

When this happens, it seems that X takes over about 99% of your memory and nothing else can run.

What annoys me is that no-one wants to acknowledge there is a problem. The Linuxquestions.org site has topics, gentoo forums, nvidia forums, etc. I have had this intermittent problem with XFree and xorg, with 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, with Mandrake, Gentoo and PCLOS.

Yet I have never seen any acknowledgement from those "in charge" of X, or any of the video drivers. Or LXF mag, or any other.

We cannot make the problem go away by pretending it doesn't exist.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sat May 21, 2005 6:35 pm

My nvidia card works flawlessly under Debian but I do have a nvidia mobo too, having said that Mandrivel from LXF will only boot to a terminal screen no matter what I do so I just can't be arsed to fiddle anymore, Debian for me ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby PsypherPunk » Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:39 am

i've had this problem ever since i upgraded my motherboard.

Initially i got round it by running my Athlon XP 3000 at 2000; the problem never happened then. More recently i've found that switching the AGP from 8X to 4x stops the problem occuring too.
PsypherPunk

Postby davecs » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:06 pm

My Shuttle decided to bow out last week, and I have put together the parts in an old case, only buying motherboard, power supply and fan. The mobo I chose is an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe. This may seem an odd choice, as it first came out at the back end of 2003, but given the continuing production of Semprons, and the availability of Athlon MPs which can be seriously overclocked, it's about as good a Socket A board as you can get.

Since then, I've not had the lockup (though it's early days to be fair). I'm using the same graphics card and I'm overclocking the same processor. The AGP speed in the BIOS is on auto, the video card is an FX5200.

So maybe it's a shortcut / fault in certain boards in the AGP control area.

I still think that those that understand how these things work need to take it more seriously, though! Can they not add a hack that enables you to recover cleanly from the freeze? If it's a security problem, it could be turned off in the kernel compilation, so that distros would install the secure version, but the other would be available for use on home computers where the 3D drivers were more likely to be in use.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:22 pm

Just an update, since I have had the Asus board, I have not been able to get X to lockup. With my old setup, it could happen at any time, but it happened a lot when browsing the web, and also when playing a non-3D game such as Frozen Bubble with 3D running. Also if I was playing Emilia-Pinball, the screen went black!

The real clincher was watching video with 3D running. That did it every time, within about 4 minutes.

I have tried all these things since I got the new mobo, and I haven't crashed it yet. So maybe both software and hardware are involved in this problem.
davecs
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion