Addendum to Mac Mini piece

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Addendum to Mac Mini piece

Postby andychannelle » Tue May 17, 2005 7:41 pm

Just thought I'd let you know, as we discussed it earlier and it was also featured in the mag, I finally got round to upgrading the memory in my Mac Mini. Pulling it to bits was quite easy with a very thin wallpaper scraper and the 256MB stick inside was better than expected (DDR400 rather than 333). I snapped in a 512MB stick and then put the spare 256 one in my desktop PC. Works a treat. I figure that once 1GB memory gets a bit cheaper, I'll swap it out again and add the 512 to my desktop (it has three slots) meaning both machines will have 1GB. Smart.

AndyC
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby Andy » Tue May 17, 2005 8:46 pm

Andy,

Do you reckon that most Mac mini's come with DDR400 memory? I know that there is some discrepancy between hard drives, with the 1.25 shipping with a 5400rpm drive against the 1.42's 4200rpm drive.

I'm still tinkering with mine at the moment, tried out FC4T3 which seems to work flawlessly, although I've now switched to a dual boot of Ubuntu and Mac OS X.

For those of you who are considering purchasing a Mac mini then go for it. It's almost un-nerving how quiet it is - I'm glad it has the solitary white LED on the front to reassure me that it is actually on and working! :)

AndyH
Andy

Postby andychannelle » Wed May 18, 2005 7:57 am

"Do you reckon that most Mac mini's come with DDR400 memory?" I've seen one other Mini opened up and it did have DDR400. I read one report where someone got a 75 per cent improvement on HD performance by geting an old drive, shoving it in a FireWire enclosure and plugging it into the Mini.

AndyC
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby MOR » Mon May 30, 2005 4:55 pm

Well it has been a long time since I have been on here, but I can confirm that there is a speed difference using an external 7200 Maxtor 250GB drive with a 16mb cache in a firewire 400 enclosure, I wouldn't say it is 75% overall though. Although this is about right for the disk speed access times alone.

On this subject you may want to look at these rather desirable enclosures and drives:

minimate
mini partner

And Belkin's rather nice USB hub (due out July)

Although I have had a mini mate on order since the beginning of May and no sign of it yet.
MOR

Return to Discussion