Any subscribers got the Firefox

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How do you rate LXF 66?

Poll ended at Fri May 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Poor
No votes
Okay
15%
Excellent
85%

Total votes : 20

Any subscribers got the Firefox

Postby evilnick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:01 pm

issue yet? We'd be interested in your comments
evilnick

Postby Rhakios » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Well, yes. A very stylish looking cover, but I haven't had a chance to read it yet. Or are you fishing for comments about your new picture? :lol:

Will you always be gnawing a crow-bar from now on :?:
Rhakios

Postby brian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:59 am

In work right now and can't provide specific comments, but I thought it was a good read, off the top of my head both the firefox and the GCC 4.0 articles were good, and the KDE vs Gnome was lighthearted and provided a chuckle :lol:

p.s. good to have the site back!
brian

Postby guy » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:20 pm

Bought today, not read yet.
Saw it alongside the competition (ahem) in WH Smith's today. Checked out all three. No contest :). Fantastic cover, relevant content. Shame I'm not techy enough for Slackware, but the rest of the DVD looks cool.

One thing, they only had the DVD edition. Is the CD one still going?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm getting LXF on subscription now and I'd like to say (a) this is the first mag I have subscribed to that actually reaches me at home several days before it appears in the newsagents, which is great; and (b) I'm extremely impressed with the way it is packaged - that piece of cardboard makes all the difference.

The content just seems to get better and better. Keep up the good work, guys.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:49 pm

I would second that - especially with regard to the packaging. It's about the only mag that I've had delivered that seems to be Postman-proof :lol:
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:37 pm

Do you want to change places Guy? I tried a couple of places round here, Borders and WHS, and they only had the CD edition.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:27 pm

What, huh? Theres a new version of LXF out now!!........Will go down to WHS and get my copy tomorrow........
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby obionekanewbie » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:39 pm

got me issue in good time. first mag i have subscribed too! better than the wifes Now mag anyway!

.... about firefox... great article.... using the tips already editing away at the about:config!!!

cheers.
obionekanewbie

Postby f3llah1n » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:01 pm

well i havent got it yet, but immediatly I can tell it will be brilliant.. i can now finally upgrade my Slack from 10.0 from Issue 57 to 10.1

Ive been waiting for a 10.1 coverdisk forver! :)

The Firefox article looks promising also :o
f3llah1n

Postby guy » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:15 am

nelz wrote:Do you want to change places Guy? I tried a couple of places round here, Borders and WHS, and they only had the CD edition.

Don't think LXF could afford me :wink:

Some shops get them all mixed up on the shelves, too. The difference between DVD cases and CD sleeves must be too technical for magazine sales staff. How about changing the colour of say the header strip and the "LINUX FORMAT" title between the CD and DVD editions, to make it easier to tell them apart? Some creative work in shades of grey overlaid on the orange and white might keep the differences to the black ink, which you already use to distinguish the editions.
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby kevh100 » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:14 pm

Hi,

Like the issue :) especially the mailserver article. It's nice to see a straightforward comparison of them. The URL for the the SmoothWall site is incorrect though :? It should be http://www.smoothwall.net. Also the DansGuardian filtering proxy is available for the OS version of Smoothwall (SmoothWall Express). You can get it from here. Privoxy is also a good at controlling/blocking cookies, banners and popups (also available for SmoothWall)

Kev
kevh100

Postby AndrewBallantine » Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:50 pm

I really enjoy LXF and have been a subscriber since LXFD23.

LXF66 is very smart, but more important full of useful content.

However even the best can improve a bit.

Suggestion:

I like the way you surround input text in blue to make it clear when it's a single line despite printing it on more thn one line to fit the magazine column. What I find very difficult to establish is where the spaces are. Now I know it's terribly old fashioned, but why don't you use a mono spaced font. Then the spaces would be as clear as a bell. In one of the tutorials this month there is one command that is very difficult to decipher and would require several experiments to get it right. It is (on page 85)

grep '<DT><A HREF="' $1 | cut '-d"' -f2 > url_list

Now is that HREF= " ' or HREF= ' " (spaces added for clarity)
and cut '-d " ' or cut '-d ' "

I am sure you are going to say that it's obvious because of the matching parentheses, but a newbie doesn't know that. It is enfuriatingly frustrating when trying to follow these tutorials to be unsure what one should be typing. A monospaced font would resolve that instantly.

On the same page:

\rm url_list
\rm url_control_tmp
touch url_control_tmp

are marked in a single blue area which I thought meant a single command. Is this a publishing error?

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine
AndrewBallantine

Postby evilnick » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Since the dawn of computer magazines, code listings have been troublesome. I remember typing in several pages of listings for my ZX80 (on its touch sensitive keyboard!) only to find it didn't work - and worse still, after checking it three times it still didn't work because somehow a comma got missed out of the printed version.

We use a proportional font because it dramatically reduces the amount of space for the listing. It does cause problems, but so do the lines breaking, and there would be a lot more of them with a monospace font. On the whole, I think it works this way. I do take the point about spaces though. It's something we'll have to look at. Perhaps we should double the spaces or something.

Sometimes the code boxes don't work properly. Sorry, mistakes happen, and while we are breaking in some new production monkeys, they are likely to make one or two mistakes. Sorry.
evilnick

Postby Flea » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:34 am

Just finished reading the latest mag, its brilliant, but then it always is! :wink:

I especially liked the firefox feature, more of that please!
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs