re: Linux job adverts going mad?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

re: Linux job adverts going mad?

Postby pins » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:50 pm

The other thing I've noticed recently - as I've been looking at job ads - both IT related and not is ones where they will list some really paltry requirements, and you think 'well that looks like a piece of...' so you email for more information, and there comes back this monster document of person spec and skills and experience neccesary, where ehat you read originnaly are like footnotes.
or is it just me?
pins
LXF regular

RE: re: Linux job adverts going mad?

Postby CJLL » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:44 pm

Due to the tortourous nature of employment law these days employers have to go into great detail about the job and the type of person that will fill the requirement. Person specs are great for job hunters as they give you good insight into the things that you should be relating to when you supply or CV or attend an interview.
--
The reward for self love is sticky hands
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby pins » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:02 pm

Yeah, I get that. Whats strange is the disparity between the short text of the ad, and the rest of it. Surely it's possible to make the ads more meaningful and informative, thus saving everyone time. but whatever.
pins
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:43 pm

Take a look at the number of adverts on display for a typical search like linux + mysql. Reed lists over 100 in the last 7 days. If each ad went into minute detail about the job you'd never read more than the first two or three.
--
CJLL
LXF regular

Postby pins » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:25 am

you're missing my point, mate: I have seen lots of ads where what they'll put in the ad text about requirements can be as little as: one years experience working with children, schools or youth groups. When I requested the info pack on that job, it turns out they also wante someone with at least a years experience of buildling relationships with communities, a familiarity with fundraising, and a few other things.
It could have been summarised into three lines instead of one. I understand the need to keep things brief both as people are looking at lots of ads a day, potentially hundreds or thousands, plus that they might be paying by the word, but it seems counter productive to me.
Thats one example, but I've had a few like that recently.
pins
LXF regular

Postby CJLL » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:53 pm

No I understand your point, I just don't share your point of view.
--
CJLL
LXF regular

Return to This Website