Recommendations for linux compatible inkjet around GBP100?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Recommendations for linux compatible inkjet around GBP100?

Postby sfinnie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:20 pm

Hi,

Looking for a printer for my mum & dad. They're running Xandros 2.5 (i.e. users not tinkerers!) and I just want a printer that will work at plugin.

Looking for something reasonably cheap: colour inket around the GBP100 mark.

[url]linuxprinting.org[/url] recommends the Epson Stylus line; I also have a stylus 760 that works fine. However, the linuxprinting advice is dated May 2005 and the stylus 760 is even older, so don't know if there's a more recent recommendation.

Ideally looking for something that's known to work on Xandros; failing that something that known to work on Linux in general. Just don't want something that I'll have to muck about with.

Any help greatfully appreciated.

Thx,
Scoot.
sfinnie

RE: Recommendations for linux compatible inkjet around GBP10

Postby coolclassic » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:09 am

Epson,HP and canon have printers in your price range.

Have a look at turboprint who supply excellant drivers for the above printers.
The world is your playground why don't you play.
coolclassic
LXF regular

Postby sweet72 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:22 pm

I don't have any particular printer suggestions, but...

If you know the Epson printer will work for your folks, buy it. It's a nice way of showing your support for a product that actually works with Linux.

linuxprinting.org is a great resource. You have to take "works perfectly" with a grain of salt, by they are helpful.

cups.org is another great resource.

Basically any Linux forum is a good resource. Ask people what they are using, see if they had any problems and go from there. Your linux flavor's website is a valuable tool for you. Maybe the Epson printer works great with your Linux but it will not with your parents.

Turboprint is an option. ESP Print Pro is another. These are commercial products, whether you need them or not is up to you. For plug and go, I'd say yes. But, if you're willing to tinker, maybe sweat a little, don't go commercial. I know my friend likes to twick his printer and system. This is fun for him.
sweet72

Postby nordle » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:31 pm

I've used R200 and R300 (Epson), they were pretty good, they've had a revision so not 100% sure they would work, but dont see why not.

£60

http://tinyurl.com/7dset
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 pm

I have a Canon i560 and needed turboprint for it to work properly, that said there are cups drivers that work for most of the BJC & S models.
Canon do not supply a linux driver for any of their printers but there is a request linux driver page on their support site see : this thread
If cost of ink replacement is not an issue, IMHO it would be better to buy the Epson if it comes with a linux driver
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

thanks

Postby sfinnie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 pm

Dear all,

Thanks for advice. Decided in the end to take the benevolent route - selflessly donate my epson to parents therefore leaving me no option but to upgrade :-)

- S.
sfinnie

Return to Hardware