Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot

Postby Guest » Wed May 11, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi,

I managed to get my laptop to install Mandriva 2005 from your CD coverdiscs (separate thread, thanks again!), but I'm having a problem with installing to my desktop from the DVD version, purchased 'cos there was more on it and I'd picked the wrong copy of the mag up. All seems to go well until reboot then I get a segmentation error and the boot halts.

I've tried doing a fresh install with only the keyboard and mouse attached but I still get the same error. I've also given Knoppix 3.3 a go on the same machine as specified below and that fires up no problem.

The basic machine spec is;
Athlon XP2400+
XFX KT400ALH mobo
3/4 gig DDR333 ram
SBLive

The hardware attached is;
HP PSC2110 all-in-one printer/scanner
Line 6 GuitarPort
Sync cradle for iPaq
BT Voyager wireless router through the LAN port

The installation is on to a fresh 20gb drive in a caddy.

I'm getting a bit lost now! Can you help, please?
Ta in advance,
Blemon

RE: Mandriva DVD version - segmentation errors on reboot

Postby nelz » Wed May 11, 2005 11:57 pm

What do you see before the segmentation error? Knowing at what stage of the boot process this occurs would be helpful.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 10:45 am

Thanks, Nelz,

I'll confirm this later but I think it's one of the stages immediately after mounting the USB controllers; that's the last message I recall seeing. Comparing that to my laptop, the next thing it seems to try and do is mount the filesystems. Unfortunately, the dump that's displayed fills the panel such that what it's trying to do is lost as the panel scrolls. I'll try an interactive boot later (the machine in question is at home!) and confirm.

Best regards,
Blemon

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 3:50 pm

OK, Nelz, here's a bit more for you.

The boot falls over before I get to the interactive bit. The fault seems to be at the point where it's mounting and checking the filesystem. I think it checks ROOT ok the I think I saw the message that it was doing something with the swap area. It's at that point I believe I'm getting the segmentation error. Does this mean anything ...?

/etc/rc.d/rc.modules
modprobe is mentioned

Thanks again,
Blemon

Postby Guest » Thu May 12, 2005 5:00 pm

Nelz,

Panic over. I re-jigged my partitions so that the swap area was 512Mb. Then during install I only selected the configuration and system packages and installed everything else once Mandriva was up. In fact, this mail is from my Mandriva setup as opposed to my XP setup.

Thanks for your time,
Blemon

Return to Help!