Mandriva booting problems

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mandriva booting problems

Postby UHF » Sat May 07, 2005 11:02 pm

Hello,

I'm fairly new to Linux. I've installed and got Mandriva 2005 working. Didn't make any drastic changes to the setup (config files etc). When I re-boot it hangs just after:

Activating Swap Partitions [OK]

I reinstalled, was able to boot first time, then it did the same thing when trying to re-boot second time. Searching the internet, this seems to be a familiar problem to others using Mandrake/Mandriva and the vague explanations are along the lines of problems with hot plugging.

Any ideas? Failsafe booting hangs as well.

Thanks.
UHF

RE: Mandriva booting problems

Postby nelz » Sun May 08, 2005 8:04 am

Do you have any USB devices connected to your computer? these are the usual source of hotplugging issues. try booting with all unnecessary USB devices disconnected. If you can find what is causing the problem, finding the fix is usually easy.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby UHF » Sun May 08, 2005 3:49 pm

Tried booting with all USB devices removed, no change. I have WiFi and Audigy sound cards installed. I find it odd that first time booting works then after that it fails, what is it setting up?
UHF

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs