Fuji 9500 camera

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Fuji 9500 camera

Postby photobod » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:56 pm

I just bought a new Fuji 9500 camera. It's really very, very good in almost every respect and I'm hugely impressed - apart from one significant issue.

Fuji really don't seem to have got their Linux act together at all, and this camera seems to use some sort of protocol which SUSE10 can't understand.
When I connect the camera to a USB port, the camera's own display indicates that it has established a connection (no error is reported and the screen displays just the "USB connected" symbol.) At the other end, SUSE10 does nothing. Zilch. Nada.
The KDE USB system monitor reports no devices attached. Nothing is automounted (unlike my other Fuji cameras which work fine). The camera might as well not exist as far as the PC is concerned.

Does anyone know of any fix I can try for this? I guess I can get around it easily enough with a USB card reader, but I'd rather just plug in the camera than fiddle around with memory cards.
photobod

RE: Fuji 9500 camera

Postby gch15 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:48 pm

I have the same camera but I use Gentoo. I have no trouble mounting it as a storage device by doing this:

sudo mount -t vfat -o uid=chandra,gid=users,ro /dev/sda1 /mnt/camera

/dev/sda1 might need to be something else for your computer and the directory /mnt/camera has to exist. Actually it can be any directory as long as you keep it empty.

After I cp the files across I do:

sudo umount /mnt/camera

and that is it.

This certainly saves you taking out the memory card every time you want to transfer photos from the camera to your computer.
gch15

Postby MartyBartfast » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:15 pm

It might be that the new camera uses PTP mode by default, in which case some of the camera packages (digikam etc) might see it, but probably not if it's a new model. If it's in PTP mode then it won't mount as a USB filesystem.

If it is using PTP mode then there's probably an option on the camera menus to turn it off & on.

I had your problem with my Nikon coolpix, and this was the solution for me.

Good luck, Marttyn.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby photobod » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:49 pm

This discussion continued on the Help forum. The answer seems to have been with the implementation of USB2 on 64-bit Linux. The camera works fine on 32-bit OpenSUSE 10 and other distros. Other USB2 devices exhibit the same issues on the 64-bit PC.
photobod

Return to Hardware