Wireless

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wireless

Postby acraigon » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:12 am

I am going to try wireless broadband. I have purchased a Netgear wireless modem router. I use zenwalk linux. Do I need drivers to get the router talking to my computer and the internet?
acraigon

RE: Wireless

Postby Nigel » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:38 pm

You shouldn't need any drivers for the router itself, but you might need some for whatever wireless card you put in your PC.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby RD » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:34 pm

Can some one recomend a wireless card that works with out much fuss in linux?
RD
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:09 pm

Try the card recommended by Dave2 in this thread.

I used the USB adaptor from the same company, which worked fine for ten days, until my grandson snapped it off :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby RD » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:03 am

Thanks nelz

but dont think im gonna bother as wireless really sucks i spent nearly all night getting wireless to work with linux mac os x and win xp in a room no bigger than a 5x6 to get wireless to fail or get a connection speed of 12mbps not good when all the hardware can do 54mbps at one point none of the above os's could get a connection i worked out that to get a half decent connection i would neep a wireless access point in nearly every room in the house so i think im gonna stick with wired network at least that works how its suppose to and with the correct speed too.
RD
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:14 am

Good grief - what sort of a building do you live in ?

I have a 3Com router/access point/adsl modem/firewall box and use 3com cards in our laptops - I have no problems with connections or connection speeds anywhere in the house. One of the laptops is running SuSE 9.2, the other Windows XP.
We also have DECT phones, cordless headphones and, occasionally, a bluetooth connection to my mobile running, so it isn't a pristine environment radio-wise. The internal walls are mostly plasterboard, except for the room where the access point is and the room where I usually use my laptop, both of which have breeze-block walls all the way round.

I would suggest taking a good look at what else you have running within a couple of feet of your access point that might be generating interference !
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:01 pm

RD,
I'm with Nigel on this one. I've got a Netgear wireless router in an upstairs bedroom, a desktop in an adjacent room and a laptop wherever I happen to be sitting in the house. I get 54mbps on the laptop everywhere in the house, which also has several DECT phones, and a set of wireless headphones (often used by me while on the laptop).

One of these days I'm gonna take the laptop for a walk and see how far I can go and still get a signal :?
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:40 pm

Turn your AP off and see if you can get a signal from a neighbour, it worked for me :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ladi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:56 pm

Turn your AP off and see if you can get a signal from a neighbour, it worked for me

Come on, nelzie!
You're supposed to be setting examples here! :-D

I bet Mr Saunders will have something to say about that!
ladi
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:04 pm

"I bet Mr Saunders will have something to say about that!"

Eh? I'm too busy checking Lik-Sang every 3 femtoseconds, to see if my copy of Animal Crossing: Wild World has been posted. Aaargh... need... more... patience...

*head explodes*

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Wireless

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:45 pm

ladi wrote:You're supposed to be setting examples here! :-D

What is wrong with testing for a signal. i wasn't suggesting anyone try to crack into their neighbour's network.

ladi wrote:I bet Mr Saunders will have something to say about that!

You seem to have a thing about Mike and me being 'at each other's throats', I've no idea where you get that from.
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Wireless

Postby ladi » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:50 pm

What is wrong with testing for a signal. i wasn't suggesting anyone try to crack into their neighbour's network.

Oh, oh! Looks like I've upset the boss!

As you will notice from my expression, that was supposed to be a joke. I was not implying any such thing, and I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I was merely remembering a similar situation with neighbours in a previous thread
ladi
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:06 pm

Ah, but I wasn't trying to connect to their network then, it was just that my network was secure enough to keep me out :)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:34 pm

Wireless access points can be a bit odd. I bought an Airport Extreme base station (thought it would go nicely with the PowerBook) and when I first used it I was underwhelmed by its apparent range. I had to hold my PMA430 about 6" above it to get any signal when the base station was placed on the desk next to my computer and with the PowerBook I couldn't move from the same room.
Since then I have put the base station on top of a book case, quite high up. Now the PMA430 works from the other side of the room and the PowerBook can reach it from the other end of the flat.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Netgear wg111 usb

Postby acraigon » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:34 pm

How do I get the above card working in Linux. I have rebuilt the kernel with wireless, downloaded ndiswrapper but I still cannot get my computer to talk to the card. Although ndiswrapper loads the driver it lists the card as invalid. I use this driver with windows! Anyone got any ideas!
acraigon

Next

Return to Hardware