KDE 3.5

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KDE 3.5

Postby Nobber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:44 am

KDE 3.5 is upon us.

I'll be sticking with 3.4.0 till they fix a particularly annoying bug that's been around since 3.4.1, but still, I'm not bitter. Really.
Nobber
LXF regular

RE: KDE 3.5

Postby M-Saunders » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:39 pm

Master KDE FTP site is slooooooooooow, but here's a good mirror that already has 3.5:

http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/Mirror ... table/3.5/

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:56 pm

Which bug? I've been using KDE 3.5 for a couple of months and can't think what you mean.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Nobber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:32 pm

This bug. I'm guessing many people don't notice it because they use the icon view in Konqueror by default. But for those of us of the "icons are a waste of (screen) space" school, it's a pain.
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:43 pm

I don't see that here, not that I'm complaining :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby nordle » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:05 pm

Been messing around in Slack for a couple of hours, so far found the transparent apps, the display of desktops contents (ie desktop 1-4), karm (time recording of sorts), the add "applet to panel"...ehh.. applet.
Konquerors metabar shows details about anything and actions for it. Kmail's sieve script management, although I haven't figured out what that is yet :), a few imap tweaks.
Superkeramba, konqueror enhancements including basic add blocking and acid2 complience.

So far, nothing ground breaking from 3.4.3. But overall, some nice tidy ups, and so far, no gotchas.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:27 pm

Just installing now and it is really really slow, has been going about an hour now and I have 2mb broadband.. :(
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:38 pm

For anyone using kubuntu, add
Code: Select all
deb http://kubuntu.org/packages/kde35 breezy main
to your /etc/apt/sources.list, then do the usual `aptitude update && aptitude dist-upgrade`.
mugstar
LXF regular

Re: RE: KDE 3.5

Postby nordle » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:15 pm

linuxgirlie wrote:Just installing now and it is really really slow, has been going about an hour now and I have 2mb broadband.. :(

I found a few of the ftp _stable only_ mirrors were running >=80k/sec, whereas mirrors closer to home were about 15k/sec. Also, the other mirrors (not marked stable only) had not yet synced with 3.5.

So I was a bandwidth slag and did half from one site and half from another at the same time, about 80k/sec per server, it was done in <20mins

Probably a bit late mentioning it now though :roll:

EDIT: oooh, I found another little thing, copy and paste, when you right click to paste it tells you how many files will be pasted...1-2-3 ooooooooo

Good to see they have made an attempt at tidying up the menus too (although, granted, most people won't notice this as they will be using vendor supplied binaries).
nordle
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: KDE 3.5

Postby davecs » Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:57 am

It's still in the "experimental" repos at PCLinuxOS but I have played with it (I keep two parallel installs going and I only take risks on one!) and it seems very nice, though hardly the advance I was expecting.

Still, slow and steady, as they say, wins the race.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:52 pm

Just downloaded it at 1.1MBytes/sec, impressive so far, nice subtle interface changes :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby marco » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:55 pm

Installed it yesterday on my Slackware 10.2 system and probably will change now from XFCE to KDE 3.5. It looks very nice and includes everything I need for my daily work.

It's really quite funny, because actually I never liked KDE before.
marco
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:08 pm

I do like some of the small changes like the 'It's broken, don't nag me again' type thing dialogs now :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Re: RE: KDE 3.5

Postby goeppingen » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:42 am

nordle wrote:
linuxgirlie wrote:Just installing now and it is really really slow, has been going about an hour now and I have 2mb broadband.. :(

I found a few of the ftp _stable only_ mirrors were running >=80k/sec, whereas mirrors closer to home were about 15k/sec. Also, the other mirrors (not marked stable only) had not yet synced with 3.5.

So I was a bandwidth slag and did half from one site and half from another at the same time, about 80k/sec per server, it was done in <20mins

Probably a bit late mentioning it now though :roll:

EDIT: oooh, I found another little thing, copy and paste, when you right click to paste it tells you how many files will be pasted...1-2-3 ooooooooo

Good to see they have made an attempt at tidying up the menus too (although, granted, most people won't notice this as they will be using vendor supplied binaries).

It is not your broadband it is on the other end the server is it.
goeppingen
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:29 am

Couple of minor probs with KDE3.5.

If your distro uses GTK-QT engine, it cannot cope with KDE3.5 and Gnome>=2.8, so you have to uninstall it! Strangely enough, my Gnome apps have retained the Gtk-Qt settings, though I doubt that will remain the case if I change KDE style, it'll probably just stick where it is.

If you have selected a Mouse Pointer theme in KDE control centre, it does not use the ~/.icons/default folder to store the settings, but non-KDE apps will read from there, resulting in the cursors potentially changing when you use certain programs. I have corrected the ~/.icons/default/index.theme file, though I have it on good authority that deleting the folder altogether may also work.

Some people have experienced huge slowdowns, this is because SuperKaramba is included in KDE3.5, the best bet is not to run it unless your hardware can cope. One guy on the PCLOS mailing list found that one applet was tying up 82% of his CPU! But just because it's there, it's not compulsory!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Next

Return to Announcements