SuSE 9.2, Gnome and Internet access problems ...

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SuSE 9.2, Gnome and Internet access problems ...

Postby crussell » Mon May 02, 2005 8:32 pm

Hey all,

I just installed SuSE 9.2 Pro and everything went well EXCEPT ... I cannot access the Internet through Firefox, Mozilla or Epiphany ... This is an out-of-the-box install with with only default changes being made to turn off the firewall (got one built into my router).

So, once it fires up for the first time I sit waiting for ages for above mentioned browsers to do ANYTHING without luck. Then I installed Opera and everything was OK.

This is (obviously) freaking me out a bit so I wondered if anyone could shed any light on why this might be happening...

TIA

Crussell
crussell

RE: SuSE 9.2, Gnome and Internet access problems ...

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 12:46 pm

Now you've installed Opera, can you use the other browsers?
If yes, you need to think what changed between using another browser and using Opera.
If no, your built in firewall in your router could be messing somehing up. (This is unlikely, though!)

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 1:17 pm

Yup, everything is fine (which is odd) ... Not having much experience with Linux makes it tricky to know where to start tracking the problem down ...

Postby Guest » Wed May 04, 2005 7:33 pm

SUSSED IT !!!!!!

The answer lies in /etc/modprobe.conf - I picked up a post somewhere which suggested adding the line:
alias net-pf-10 off to modprobe.conf.

This seemed to do the trick on on eof my machins (don't ask me why ..) but adding the further line:

alias ipv6 off

Did the trick !

Re: RE: SuSE 9.2, Gnome and Internet access problems ...

Postby jer1ch0 » Sat May 14, 2005 9:15 pm

Anonymous wrote:The answer lies in /etc/modprobe.conf - I picked up a post somewhere which suggested adding the line:
alias net-pf-10 off to modprobe.conf.

I found doing this speeds up your broadband connection in SuSE or Mandrake. However in Ubuntu, modprobe.conf does not seem to exist (in /etc). Any ideas where it is in this distro and if this hack works here.
Cheers.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: SuSE 9.2, Gnome and Internet access problems ...

Postby skecs » Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:53 am

I have Suse 9.2 and have no problems with Internet access from any browser and /etc/modprobe.conf has "alias net-pf-10 ipv6" set as part of all the alias net-pf-* settings. I'm sure I didn't set this in Suse 9.1 either.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Return to Help!