How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby goeppingen » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:40 pm

How good is suse 10.0 OSS :?:
Is it better then Mandriva 2006 :?:
goeppingen
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:31 pm

It's very difficult to give a definitive answer to your question.

No Linux distro is "better" than any other. It all comes down to the individual user and what they feel happy with. For instance, I have used various versions of SuSE, Fedora, Mandrake/Mandriva and Ubuntu and I like them all. They all have their various little idiosyncrasies, different ways of managing software, updating, etc. etc. which you have to get used to. But you yourself really have to try them and see how you get on with them and whether they suit your needs.

All I basically use computers for is surfing the net, e-mailing, word-processing and other office tasks, a bit of multimedia and digital imaging. I'm not into gaming, I don't use wireless, I don't run a network, I don't have any fancy hardware. Therefore most Linux distros seem to perform fine for me with my fairly basic requirements - but depending on your needs/hardware, you may find one particular distro suits you better than another.

However, having said all that, I consider SUSE10 (I am running the retail version) to be very good. I haven't yet tried Mandriva 2006 but I have used 2005LE and was pretty happy with that too.
Marrea
LXF regular

Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:43 pm

goeppingen wrote:How good is suse 10.0 OSS :?:

Very good, as are most distros.

goeppingen wrote:Is it better then Mandriva 2006 :?:

For some, yes, for others, no. Distros all contain the same core software, the Linux kernel and the standard OSS apps. What differentiates them are mainly the configuration and administration tools. There is no one "better" distro for all, if there were all the others could give up and go home.

There is only one person who can really tell you which is best for you, and that person is you. Try two or three distros, pick the one you like best and stick with it for a while to fully learn how to use it.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby Marrea » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:26 pm

nelz wrote:Try two or three distros, pick the one you like best and stick with it for a while to fully learn how to use it.

That's extremely good advice. I've noticed a tendency with some people to abandon a particular distro after only a few weeks (days even) purely because one thing or other doesn't work. They install another distro and find some other, different, problem with that. And so it goes on. Quite often these various little problems can be solved with a bit of patient research and, once sorted, you can then get stuck into exploring the system in depth and really learning about how it ticks.
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby nelz » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:46 pm

That's exactly what I meant but couldn't be bothered to type :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby Marrea » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:37 am

nelz wrote:That's exactly what I meant but couldn't be bothered to type :)

Well, I do tend to ramble on a bit !!
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby Ceptune » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:30 pm

Hi People,
One only comment about 2006 ver Suse 10.0, Suse linux documentation is downloadable from the website, Mandriva is not.
Suse doc's are very very good even if you don't have 10.0.
I,m having problems installing either one so till I do get one to work my comments are not a lot of good to you!!!.
But if you like reading 200 and eighty something pages of documentation go for Suse
Ceptune

RE: Re: RE: Re: How good is suse 10.0 OSS

Postby nelz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Mandriva documentation is on the installation media. It will be installed if you select the Documentation group during installation.
nelz
Site admin

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs