Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage

Postby greenhorn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:46 am

Hi there,

I am not sure how to fix a recurring problem with those distros that I have installed into my computer. I have a Gigabyte m/b - GA-8IK1100 (integrated sound & network), with 512MB dual channel DDR333, 160GB Seagate HD and 20GB Seagate HD, NVidia MX400. I use it for normal programming and adminstration usage.

On my main HD, I have Mandrake 10.1 (works wonderfully) and XP. I use XP for some CAD application. Since Knoppix 4.0 (running live), FC4 and SUSE 10.0 these distros has never worked more than 2 minutes. They installed OK (on the 20GB HD), boot up OK and then after using it (keyboard or mouse), it will hang after 1-2 minutes. They continue to work OK if no keyboard or mouse intervention occurs. Once they are used, the recurring problem would occur. I have installed tried installing them in 2 combinations:

1. / (19GB) & swap (1GB)
2. / (10GB), /boot (1GB), /home (8GB) and /home (1GB)

With latest SUSE 10.0 OSS, it works OK when I use Internet, Applications, or Games. Once the minute or 2 is up, it hangs and require a hard reset. Just to ensure it is not a HD problem, I have tried it with smaller and bigger HD. Same problem would be seen.

Strangely Debian 3.1 works. I am not sure if this is a hardware problem, maybe with the dual channel memory timing.

Has anyone seen such problem occuring before? I want to fix this problem and your advise would be helpful. I appreciate any comments.

Thanks
greenhorn

RE: Distro hangs after 2 minutes of usage

Postby Nigel » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:51 am

This sounds very similar to the problems I had when I first installed SuSE 9.2 on my AMD-64 box... the problem is with the power management stuff.
Try adding acpi=off to your boot parameters and see if that cures it - it did for me.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Return to Hardware