Help to Install Mandriva 2006

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Help to Install Mandriva 2006

Postby Gorky » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:45 pm

Now I have downloaded the latest Mandriva from a FTP site. This is a 64bit program. My computer is a 64 bit one. I ran into the following obstacle. So I need your help.

[I have downloaded from the Internet two programs which diagnose my hardware. One is called ‘Everest’ and the other one is PC Wizard 2005. They are Windows programs. My computer has Windows XP. So I could work with Windows. ]

My IDE Controller is as follows:
(1) Ali M 5229 PCI BUS MASTER IDE CONTROLLER
(2) ATA /ATAPI

My NIC is as follows:

(1) Ali 5261 PCI Fast Ethernet

(2) ULi PCI Fast Ethernet Controller
[I gathered the above information about my NIC Card and the Motherboard using those two programs.]

Using the Partition Magic I have created Linux portion too. So half of the computer has NTFS file system for Windows XP and the other half has ‘Ext2’ file system for Linux.

The problem starts here; I got the problem in the middle of the installing process. Please read the following.

It gave me 3 options; they are ‘Yes’ , ‘No’ and ‘See hardware information’.

-----------------------------------------
Found ”Ali Corporation | Ali M 5289 Serial ATA / RAID Controller” , ‘sata_uli’ interfaces.
Do you have another one?

•. Yes

•. No

•. See hardware information
----------------------------------------

[ I selected the second alternative ‘ No’.]
Then I got the following message.

An error occurred
No valid devices were found on which to create new file systems. Please check your hardware.

Then I selected the 3rd alternative ‘See hardware information’.

(1)amd64-agp : Ali Corporation | M 1689 K8 Northbridge [Super K8 single chip] [Bridge_Host]

(2)unknown : Ali Corporation | AGP 8X Controller [ Bridge PCI]

(3)unknown : Ali Corporation | M 5249 HTT to PCI Bridge [BRIDGE_PCI]

(4)i2c – ali 1563 : Ali Corporation | M 1563 Hyper Transport South Bridge [BRIDG_ISA] SubVendor=0X1849 SubDevice=0X1563

(5)i2c – ali 1535 : Acer Laboratories Inc [Ali] M 7101 PMU [BRIDGE_OTHER] SubVendor=0X1849 SubDevice=0X7101

(6)snd-intel 8X0 : Acer Laboratories Inc [Ali] M 5455 PCI AC-Link controller Audio Device [MULTIMEDIA_AUDIO] [SubVendor=0X1849 SndDevice=0X0850]

(7)tulip : Ali Corporation | M 5263 Ethernet Controller [NETWORK_ETHERNET] SubVendor=0X1849 SubDevice=0X5263]

(8)alin 15X3 : Acer Laboratories Inc [Ali] | M 5229 IDE [STORAGE_IDE]

(9)sata_uli : Ali Corporation | Ali M 5289 Serial ATA/ RAID Host Controller [STORAGE_IDE] SubVendor=0X1849 SubDevice=0X5289

Finally, I selected the 1st alternative.

It gave me many options to select a drive. The following is the list.

1.ide-generic
2.a320 raid
3.advansys
4.arcmsg
5.ata_adma
6.cpqfc
7.sata_mv
8.aha152x

This means those drivers are at my disposal. When I selected a driver, the following message appears.

Loading aha152x failed. Do you want to try again with other parameters?

• Yes

• No

I selected the first alternative ‘Yes’.
The following message appears.
You may now provide options to module aha152x.
Options are in format “name=value name2=value2…”
For instance, “ io=0x300 irq=7”

[ How do I know those parameters. What are they? I believe if you can find those parameters, it would work and I could install the Mandriva. How do I find those strange values. Your help is appreciated.]

I am eagely waiting for your comments and help.

Last edited by Gorky on Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Gorky

RE: Help to Install Mandriva 2006

Postby Rhakios » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:04 pm

It seems your motherboard has IDE and SATA controllers. Is your hard disk IDE or SATA?
If it's the former, I would have selected (8)alin 15X3 : Acer Laboratories Inc [Ali] | M 5229 IDE [STORAGE_IDE] and 1.ide-generic, from the above.
If it's a SATA drive then I suppose (9) is correct, but I'm not too sure about the kernel module.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:14 pm

I would also suggest that if your hard drive is ide that you turn off your sata in the bios, I always do this at work and it solve a multi of problems with windows and Linux..
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Gorky » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:51 pm

Yes, Rhakios it is a SATA hard disk and IDE.

This ide-generic doesn't work. I have tried several times.

The following message appears:
You may now provide options to module ide-generic.
Options are in format “name=value name2=value2…”
For instance, “ io=0x300 irq=7”

[If you could find those values, I would be in business. How do I find them?]

I tried in vain all the 8 alternatives. The message is same.

linuxgirlie, I don't how to turn off sata in BIOS. Please tell me how to do it.
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Sun Nov 20, 2005 10:27 pm

This is, in effect, exactly the same problem you were having with SuSE. Just as a matter of interest, you haven't got RAID enabled have you? If you have, then it won't work. And if your hard disk is SATA, then you certainly don't want to turn it off in the BIOS, as then Windows won't boot either.

Looking around the internet I have found a number of other potential Linux users having trouble with this board, but no solutions.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:32 am

Now I removed the SATA hard disk. It was a 160GB Maxtor one.
I bought a new Samsung 200GB hard disk and put it inside.
Afterwards, I installed Windows XP successfully. Now I must install Mandriva.
I will use 100GB for Windows and 100GB to Linux.

As my previous computer, I want this one to give me the choice of Windows or Linux when it starts up.

I want to install Mandriva on 50GB and SuSE on 50GB.

How many partitions are there when installing Mandriva. I know one is swap the other one is root.

What is the other one? What is the root partition is doing?
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Simplest setup will be to use one for swap, one for / (root) and one for /home. All your operating system files, programs, logs, system configuration and so on, will go under / while your personal files and personal configuration settings will found under /home/username (where username is the name you select for yourself during installation).
Make sure Mandriva does give you a /home partition, as it will allow you to retain your personal data untouched if you decide to update or change Linux versions.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:03 pm

Thanks Rhakios for taking time to reply me.

Now I created a 75GB partition using the Partition Magic program. It is a 'ext2' file system and a logical partition.

Would it be fine to install Mandriva?
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:16 am

Should be, though the partition will need to be deleted and then divided up. Have you solved your SATA problem then?

One other thing, having created the partition with Partition Magic, you might find that after Mandriva's partitioning tool has reconfigured your disk, that PM believes the disk partition table to be corrupt. This is because PM and Mandriva's partitioning tool have different ideas about how hard disks can be partitioned. This will only be a problem if you decide to repartition the disk again at a later date with PM. Should you wish to do so, it would be a better idea to create your three Linux partitions now with PM and then just assign the mount points and format them during the installation of Mandriva.
Unless you have unusual requirements 1GB for swap, 7GB for / and the rest for /home should be adequate.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:43 pm

Now I have created a 50MB of partition of 'ext2' file system and Installed Mandriva 2006 which I downloaded from a FTP site. I made this partition using the Partition Magic program. My Windows XP works; I have installed the Partition Magic on Windows XP.

I can remove it again or reinstall again. It just takes about 20 minutes. I could just use the Partition Magic and format that partition and remove it neatly. It is very simple.

There are a few problems. It didn't ask me about any swap partition. It seems that there is no swap partition. Usually the Partition Magic shows the swap partition. It is not there. On my old computer, I used the Partition Magic to see the partitions.

How do I check whether the swap partiton is there?

The next problem is that I can't go to the Internet. I talked to my ISP. In first place they don't support Linux. They support Bill Gates. However, the man I talk to knew some Linux. He asked me to use the ping command. It was not successful. The ' ifconfig' command didn't work either. I could see their DNS server's ip address. The connection was there. The browsers can't go to the Internet. I am hooked to the ISP; browsers can't go to the Internet. There is an icon to indicate that I am connected to the Internet.

They couldn't do anything. There is a problem with the network card. A friend of mine suggested buying a netword card and see the reaction from the system. The built in network card works fine for Windows XP.

I will struggle a few more hours and buy a network card and try again.

Could you please tell me how to check the existence of the swap file?

Mandriva works fine. The Open Office word processor works. I could work on the shell.

[ I could easily erase and reinstall whenever I want. I could maximize or minimize the partitions.
The Windows XP installation takes hours whereas this Mandriva take about 20 minutes. The funny thing is that the ínstallation didn't mention about the swap partition.]

Please tell me how to check the existence of the swap file. I appreciate your comments and thoughts.
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:47 pm

A simple command like free will show if you have any swap and what is being used, e.g.

Code: Select all
rhakios@pythia:~> free -tk | grep -i swap
Swap:      1469936          0    1469936

Not sure about your network problem.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks Rakios

Your command works fine.
Gorky

Postby Gorky » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:05 pm

Rhakios

I solve the problem of swap partition. I erased the Mandriva Linux and created a swap partition using the Partition Magic program.

Afterwards, I installed the Mandriva again. Now I have a swap partition. The problem is that I can't go to the Internet.

The connection to the ISP is on. There is an icon. It tells me that the computer is connected to the ISP.

I can't go to the Internet. Do you have any idea?
Gorky

Postby Rhakios » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:46 pm

From what you have written above, I assume you are connecting to the internet through a network card attached to an ADSL router or similar?

You said above that you could ping your ISP's DNS server - do you get your IP and DNS server addresses via DHCP from your router?

Have you set the router as the default gateway?

Really, without knowing details it's hard to make sensible suggestions.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Gorky » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:37 pm

Rhakios, thanks for the reply.

In Windows XP, you will write the following at the command prompt:

ipconfig /all

In Linux, you should log on as a root user write the following:

#ifconfig

I compared the values and even talk to the ISP. They are the same.

As you know the DHCP server gives me a different IP Address every time I log on to the system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried by using the ping command to myself. The following is the result:

[The command 'ifconfig' gave me the IP address.]
# ping -c 3 83.250.88.97

64 bytes from 83.250.88.97: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.025ms

64 bytes from 83.250.88.97: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.023ms

64 bytes from 83.250.88.97: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.021ms

3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0 packets loss, time 1991 ms
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I open a browser and try to go to a website. It doesn't work. It just struggles to go to the Internet.

I tried to ping my ISP whose IP Address is 194.237.212.165.
It doesn't work.

I tried to ping Google. It didn't work. I tried to ping BBC. It didn't work.
However, all those things work smoothly on Windows XP side.
[By the way, I am writing here using Windows XP side of the computer.]

Opened a browser and tried to go the ISP; it just struggles.
[ http://194.237.212.165] or [ http://www.comhem.se]
{My Swedish ISP is 'comhem'. I live in Stockholm, Sweden.}

I have disabled the builtin firewall and there is no proxy server.
Why can't I go to the Internet? Your thoughts are very welcome.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried to ping Google. Please read the following:

# ping -c 3 216.239.39.99 and pressed enter.

The message was:

PING 216.239.39.99 (216.239.39.99 ) 56(84) bytes of data

3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I opened the Mozilla Firefox browsr and wrote the following:

http:// 216.239.39.99

The message was.

The operation time out when attempting to contact 216.239.39.99
Gorky

Next

Return to Hardware