PCMCIA Network Cards

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PCMCIA Network Cards

Postby Andy » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi,

I've just inherited an old IBM Thinkpad 390X, which doesn't have an internal nic. This means I'm going to have to go down the PCMCIA card route to just get an ethernet connection.

I'm not too bothered about wireless, as ethernet will do for my purposes. I also realise I could just Google for PCMCIA Network Linux, but I thought I'd ask the question on here first. That question is: have any of you had any experience with getting PCMCIA ethernet cards working under Linux - what would you recommend (apart from a new laptop!).

Any guidance would be great - I'm more used to laptops with built-in nics!

Thanks,

Andy
Andy

RE: PCMCIA Network Cards

Postby nelz » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:04 pm

I used a NetGear card with my ThinkPad. I think it was an MA311.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby bigbee » Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:29 pm

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/
there is a list of pcmcia card that are supported.
I've already managed to get several pcmcia-ethernet-cards to work under linux (netgear, xircom...) on various distro's, most distro's will detect pcmcia cards automatically and load the fitting module. Sometimes this has to be done manually, but that is rather exceptional. In fact, uptill now I don't remember any pcmcia card refusing to work on one of my laptops, so go for pcmcia!

ps At this moment I have a orinoco wifi card working on an G3 powerbook running debian.
bigbee

Return to Discussion