PC Format or PC Plus

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:25 pm

Marrea wrote:Or how about our own Paul Hudson with his shirt off?

And you'd see his "I r teh best at Unreal Tournament" tattoo...

:)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Sep 22, 2005 3:43 pm

I wouldnt complain ;)
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:31 pm

Marrea wrote:What I strongly object to is the puerile schoolboy humour and sometimes quite tasteless photos which appear in some of the more modern motorcycle/car magazines

hey, puerile schoolboy humour keeps me sane at work!

a bit OT, not sure if you've read it Marrea, but Racer is pretty minimal on the totty front and TOTALLY MAX on the OMG what a stunning racing shot. The photography they manage to get is just stunning, and one of the main reasons for buying the mag for me. Shame that stalker's column (thats what its called, honest) seems to have vanished though.
Interestingly the web page hasn't been updated since 2000, so ignore anything on there and get down to the local library that is known as WHSmith, and grab a copy!
http://www.motorcycleracer.com/

As far as car mags go, there is only one, Evo, been reading it since 1. Again, great photo's and not a scantily dressed lass in site.... I think I better write to the editor about that! :)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/59554 ... s_evo.html

Other mags like racer, max power etc, dont forger some of the readers (female) are more than happy to show off their assets, its just part of cruise culture, they luv it, the guys luv it, not all woman are against exploiting themselves and not all blokes are for it.

As far naked people and computers, it just doesn't add up in my head, motorsports I can sort of understand in my non PC way. Adrenaline, speed, danger, glory, bike lent over disobeying physics, doing 140MPH down the cork screw at Laguna seca, or the 300kmh crash on the main straight at Mugello for Shinya Nakano.
Adrenaline, speed, danger --> computers.... trying to overclock a 1GHZ chip to 1.5GHZ chip, c'mon, its just not the same.

I agree, use the space for something more beneficial.

On the Hudsons shirt debate, maybe the lxf crew could do a calendar like that film based on the WI, ohh what was it calleed, mmmm, oh yeah, Calendar Girls.
Perhaps a carefully positioned penguin to keep things legal.......
...... thats weird, this ciggy tastes funny :lol:

crap, have I just done what the MCN lot do and take the pish, I suppose that depends on how many votes it gets :)
(I vote no btw).
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi nordle

No, I haven't read Racer. I'll have to have a look at that. Stalker being Chris Walker, I assume? He of the damaged elbow through no fault of his own at the moment, poor bloke. I like Bike though. That's been going for years and years in one form or another and currently is a really good quality publication. The only thing you could possibly be offended by in that is possibly the Ogri strip at the back !! What I like about it is the excellent photography. They always seem to have the sort of shots that leap out at you from the page, so sharp and well exposed. Great.

And there are a couple of very good FI magazines around as well which I flick through sometimes while I'm waiting for my train home. Again, excellent photography and extremely well laid out. I expect they'll be bringing one out on the new A1 GP series soon, if they haven't already.

As far as cars go, I enjoy watching F1 etc (I love the spectacle) but I'm not really an enthusiast as regards road cars. Anything on four wheels does me as long as it gets from A to B. I whizz around the Hertfordshire highways and byways in my little Ford Fiesta and that keeps me plenty happy enough !!!!

Yes, I think you're right. Computers and nudity don't really go together. do they? So it's OK, Paul, you don't need to take your shirt off after all.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:41 pm

Yeah stalker = chris walker, such a funny and nice bloke, his stories in racer of being done for speeding while in the motor home in germany, racing rented cars to the circuit (a la Days of Thunder) and buying a Hummer which was going to be kitted out with nitrous!! classic stuff.

I watched bsb +wsb during the 90's on & off, but bsb 2000 with Walker vs Hodgson had me hooked from race 1. Funny when you look back at that last race, how totally pivotal that dropped valve was, one rider went on to WSB title and mass acclaim, the other got bels palsy which paralyzed his face for months, many broken bones in accidents, various injuries etc
I've still got a massive photo on the wall of Chris infront of Hodgson, both tucked in behind their screens, both mid flight as they launched themselves off the jump at Cadwell park, inspiring stuff!

Racer has dropped a little in quality over the last few months, but the action shots are superb (there's just less of them), this month they've got Rossi falling off mid corner at Germany's Sachenring, the shot shows him keeping himself and the bike up by shoving his thigh and elbow into the tarmac @ +80MPH He saved it!

Got an interview with Ben Bostrom, who apparently the ladies quite like, Marco Melandri if Italians your thing, Colin Edwards, Muggas etc etc

BiKE, OMG how nice is the Daytona 675, its gone down as #1 on Santa's list! And the bloke who built a bike around a gas turbine helecopter engine, loon!
Funnily that was the first copy I'd bought in 18mths, prior to that I got every copy for the last 7 years.
Ogri is a total legend!

Smart move that sheik whatisname making the A1 teams countries, bound to get more attention straight away because of national pride etc Hope it does well and not just to wipe a bit of the smile off that smug gits face (Mr Eclleston).

Hey, ford fiesta's for road use are a laugh, as you know, good chassis, nippy, you _feel_ like your going faster than you are. What's the point in lumbering in 2.5ltr V6 in this country, yay I changed gear twice today and nearly hit 2,000rpm doing 70mph. Where's the fun in that? My car is 13 years old and you think your doing 90, but only just nudged 45 :)

......... ramble blah etc.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby linuxgirlie » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:02 am

awwww, and I was sooo looking forward to it ;) lol
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:49 am

Hey, Ben B is indeed a good looker and I love Colin (although I wish he wouldn't use the "s" word quite so much). Still, that's Texans for you. Poor old Melandri though. "The Doctor" has seen to it that he won't be back for a few weeks.

I've long thought that what F1 needs is a change of emphasis from the car to the skill of the driver, which is what A1 hopefully is going to provide. However it's been slightly more interesting this season I suppose now that Ferrari have fallen by the wayside.

I don't know about Bernie's smug smile but I wish he'd do something about his hair !! You would have thought with all that money he could afford a decent barber.

Isn't it amazing how these threads develop into something quite different from how they started. It's probably against all forum rules. :wink:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:44 pm

Marrea wrote:I don't know about Bernie's smug smile but I wish he'd do something about his hair !! You would have thought with all that money he could afford a decent barber

Maybe he does his own hair because he's worried about letting anyone else that near to his neck with a sharp blade!

I saw today that A1 is a Sky Sports thing, maybe terrestrial will get highlights, hopefully.

Anyway, back to Linux before being told off, did anyone see some film has been released / about to be released entirely based around penguins!?! The little dudes/dudets are taking over the world :)
nordle
LXF regular

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:26 am

marrea, Linuxgirlie - totally agree with you. I really dislike the chicks pictures on the cover of PCF. I find them totally unneccessary.
The mag is quite games orientated with a good sprinkling of tech. Don't subscribe - buy it now and again.
PC Plus - a very good mag. I had to stop buying it as I found I was more Linux friendly.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs