apple airport possible?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

apple airport possible?

Postby ubuntuBrian » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:49 am

I'm dual booting ubuntu on my Apple powerbook. Networking works ok with ethernet networks but I'd like to try to use my airport base station but have found no good documentation on whether or not this is possible. Any help?
ubuntuBrian

RE: apple airport possible?

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:14 am

You should be able to connect to an airport extreme base station with Linux (at least I have been able to in the past) the problem is that the airport card in your PowerBook isn't supported under Linux (at least it wasn't about 4 months ago when I tried something similar). Another problem might be that configuring an airport base station seems to require Apple's set up utility, I can't see any way of doing this from Linux.

You might have some luck if your PowerBook is old enough to have the 802.11b card rather than the airport extreme one though. Try this.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ubuntuBrian » Sat Nov 05, 2005 10:05 pm

I don't have extreme and I prefer 'vintage TiBook' to 'old'! My airport card works fine and the base station setup is the issue. There is no way to get the 2 to communicate. I was hoping someone had come up with a hack but.... Thanks for the link!!
ubuntuBrian

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:02 pm

As you say you are dual booting, can't you set the base station up in OSX, then use the base station for network access. Or is this the problem? Can't say it's one I've had, my airport extreme base station will happily talk to anything, even my PMA430!
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:07 pm

The Airport wireless card works with Linux and now has a driver in the kernel. The Airport Extreme does not, and most likely will not, have a Linux driver. Unfortunately, the cards slots are different, so you can't fit an older working card to a newer machine.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby ubuntuBrian » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:45 pm

Again, I don't have airport extreme so that's not an issue. I have configured the base station in OS X and can use the Internet connect utility in OS X to go online in OS X. In Linux (Ubuntu) I have no way to connect to the base station (a dial-up connection). I could try connecting in OS X, reboot into Linux and see if the network is detected by Ubuntu. If the base station was a permanent, more or less, connection perhaps that wouldn't be a problem. I did find a configuration utility to set up a base station for windows and UNIX but it won't launch in Linux.
ubuntuBrian

Postby Rhakios » Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:44 pm

If the base station is set up, then why do you need to set it up again? Surely all Ubuntu needs is your base stations network details and whatever password you use.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby ubuntuBrian » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:06 pm

The airport base is not detected as far as I can tell. There is no signal detection indicated as there always is on other networks. Perhaps this is a function of problems that I have with my Linuxant driver for my modem (which does not work). In OS X I open internet connect, click on the connect button and the modem dials and with airport on I'm connected.
ubuntuBrian

Return to Hardware