Build a Linux PC

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Build a Linux PC

Postby dunbrokin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Well, I had a lot of fun and found it quite easy to follow the instructions in LXF 185. It really was as easy as the article said...and I do not know one end of a screw driver from another! I must say, I have a real sense of achievement...so, thanks all for the suggestion and the fun. I have super PC which did not cost me a fortune.

However, there is always a however! I have no on board sound (my tower is the RL04 Redline Series from SilverStone - the only departure from the suggested kit). My USB sound works OK...but not a chirp out of the onboard speaker. The onboard is recognised and I have checked the volume levels. I also have no picture from my Logitech camera which worked quite well with Ubuntu 14.04 on my Dell Lap top. Again the camera is recognised but I cannot get a picture under cheese or Guvcview.

The version of 14.04 that I am using is the remix from your CD which came last month. These two niggles are the last remaining problems to calling this a highly successful and enjoyable venture. I hope somebody can help me solve them.
dunbrokin

Postby lok1950 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:13 pm

For the camera check the permissions on it I have a feeling that it is assigned to root so you may just have to assign your username to the camera group, the sound may be similar.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Assign Permission to camera and sound.

Postby dunbrokin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Thanks for that suggestion, I hope it will work. I am a little out of my depth here....how exactly would I do that?
dunbrokin

Postby dunbrokin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:46 pm

Yes, I has forgotten how to do that...have done it now...works with one of my two cameras...on Skype at least....but still no sound. Thanks for the suggestion. It was much more useful than the suggestion I got from ASRock support...." use a supported OS system like Windows"!
dunbrokin

Postby dunbrokin » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:02 pm

Hmmmmm....well, there was a fleeting moment when one of my two cameras showed an image on Skype....but since then...nada! I will reboot again and see if that makes a difference.
dunbrokin

ASRock Z87 Extreme 3 - no sound or camera

Postby dunbrokin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:19 am

OK, got one of my cameras to work...funnily enough the one that would not work with 14.04 on my laptop...and the one that would, will not work with this new rig...go figure. Still no on board sound...I am using a USB speaker for the sound...not ideal...but will do until we can figure out what the problem is@
dunbrokin

Re: Build a Linux PC

Postby Alex01UK » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:41 pm

What about a build a Linux Laptop or Build a Linux tablet article?

What is the tel no to subscribe to linux Format please? What are the current free gifts please? Still got my tankard. Need to pick up the latest at WH Smiths or Tesco 24 hrs just round the corner.

Currently building: Winbuntu 4:2o AD/BC. I've reverse engineered (reverse compiled what is the word disassembled) 32 bit XP Pro, gud Ladd, added a load of Linux bits to create a 32 bit bootable Gig Sick Install which works with my external Webcam with flash installed working. It will never work with Linux i am told. Works fine on Mint! Work that out!. Gud Ladd.

From: Alex Me 37 & Alex the Black Kitten 16 weeks & Santa 54 The Landlord.

dunbrokin wrote:Well, I had a lot of fun and found it quite easy to follow the instructions in LXF 185. It really was as easy as the article said...and I do not know one end of a screw driver from another! I must say, I have a real sense of achievement...so, thanks all for the suggestion and the fun. I have super PC which did not cost me a fortune.

However, there is always a however! I have no on board sound (my tower is the RL04 Redline Series from SilverStone - the only departure from the suggested kit). My USB sound works OK...but not a chirp out of the onboard speaker. The onboard is recognised and I have checked the volume levels. I also have no picture from my Logitech camera which worked quite well with Ubuntu 14.04 on my Dell Lap top. Again the camera is recognised but I cannot get a picture under cheese or Guvcview.

The version of 14.04 that I am using is the remix from your CD which came last month. These two niggles are the last remaining problems to calling this a highly successful and enjoyable venture. I hope somebody can help me solve them.
Chrome OS: Samsung ARM Series 3 Chromebook, 32bit ARM Ubuntu 12.o4 HFCE.
64bit Windows 7 Home Premium, 64bit Ubuntu Studio 14.o4, 32bit Mint 17 MATE.

''I am what I am, because we are what we are.''
Alex01UK
LXF regular

Return to Help!