FC2 stuck at Grub

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

FC2 stuck at Grub

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:03 pm

I am trying to install FC2 as a Samba server for the Win98/ME boxes in my workshop. FC2 from the LinuxFormat dvd last year. During installation no messages of anything unusal, but after rebooting it comes to a halt at Grub. Stuck, only the word Grub. Not possible to write anything. I have tried twice with the same result.
System P2 300, 256 RAM, Drives 3G for the system and 80G for the files.
Only installing X - KDE - Samba server pluss some minor packages. No mail, internet, firewall nor office packages. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I started with Suse Server 9.0 but it started installing the whole linux world and uninstalling packages under Linus is not that simple. Resulted in an unstable system.

So far I am near to concluding Linux as non-productive.

RE: FC2 stuck at Grub

Postby towy71 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:26 pm

have you tried one of the Debian based distros?
Mepis seems pretty easy to set up like that and with synaptic you can add/remove packages!
HTH
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby jjmac » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:40 pm

>>
During installation no messages of anything unusal, but after rebooting it comes to a halt at Grub.
>>

Use a LiveCD like Knoppix or whatever is handy, mount the partition and check on your Grub set up. It probably just hasn't been set up. There will be some html's with the package that describe the required syntax. Basically it just involves referencing what ever you want available to boot in a config file. Probably to be found in the /boot directory hanging off your main trunk.

>>
I am trying to install FC2 as a Samba server for the Win98/ME boxes in my workshop.
Only installing X - KDE - Samba server pluss some minor packages. No mail, internet, firewall nor office packages. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.
>>

Installing a firewalling package wouldn't hurt :). The kenel has an excellent, almost inbuilt facility called "iptables" implemented by a module set called "netfilter". They should be available as a package install. If not you should find a rpm at www.netfilter.org to suit. Most people will use one of the various gui front ends ("guarddog", others ?) to do the required configuration, so it's not a major science project or anything like that really.

If Grub is actually configured properly .... can't remember it's name off hand but it should be in the /boot directory, or in /etc. Look for something named approprietly, or with the word "list" in it's name ... and dump it here.

I figure it's hopefully probably just something like that, RH distros are usually fairly straight forward.

jm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Code: Select all

Notice how our planet, is the only one in the solar system,
                             thats named after dirt !
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:43 pm

Also check your BIOS,
I take it that the 3g is the master and the 80g the slave, is that reflected in the BIOS. This is relavent if Linux as been install on either drives before you may have the loader on the non master drives MBR hence it trying to run a non existant OS from the previous installation and the stopping.

Ram
Ram
LXF regular

Postby dandnsmith » Sun May 01, 2005 11:07 am

1. the config file(s) is (are) in /boot/grub, and you want grub.conf which may be pointed to by menu.lst

2. If GRUB was on the MBR of the slave drive, it could only get activated if there were no boot partition on the master (and the system bios is prepared to boot from it.

Just getting the GRUB prompt sounds like a messed up installation which has the MBR code, but no pointer to the stage2 code...
Derek
dandnsmith
LXF regular

Return to Help!