SOLVED: UEFI, GPT -- Sabayon 14.01 on Lenovo X220

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

SOLVED: UEFI, GPT -- Sabayon 14.01 on Lenovo X220

Postby mediamgl » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Hi.

I've decided that I'd like to have a play with Sabayon 14.01 on my Lenovo X220 (i7, SSD); however, after the install process completes, I can't boot. The laptop behaves as though there is no operating system.

I am sure it is down to UEFI and GPT not being set-up correctly, but Sabayon 14.01 is supposed to support UEFI "out of the box".

Has anyone had any luck getting Sabayon to work without too much hassel? I've seen a few Gentoo forums, but honestly, by the time I do all those steps, I might as well just complete the remainder and install Gentoo.

Thoughts/suggestions appreciated.

Cheers!
Last edited by mediamgl on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mediamgl

Postby purplepenguin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:50 am

This is an obvious suggestion and I'd expect you have already checked. But..

Is the SSD/HDD listed in the bios boot device list. I've made this mistake before myself. When changing the boot order to USB I mistakenly removed the HDD from the boot list.
So it looks like I'm back to LinuxMint again. Why you ask? Because my machine smell nicer.

I'm not too sure I'd want a Mint and Cinnamon muffin with my brew though. Guess I'm lucky they don't run my local bakery.
purplepenguin
LXF regular

Postby mediamgl » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:43 pm

purplepenguin wrote:Is the SSD/HDD listed in the bios boot device list.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yes, my SSD is listed in the bios boot device list.

From what I have been able to ascertain, I need to manually partion the drive and add the boot loader manually as well.

I'll try hitting up the Sabayon forums first, they claim to support this config out of the box.
mediamgl

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:39 pm

I know this is mainly used on ubuntu systems, but as far as I'm aware it works on other OSs as well, so give it a whirl and see if it helps.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby mediamgl » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:15 pm

Finally had the opportunity to figure this out yesterday; I have a working Sabayon 14.01 installation on my X220 now :D

mediamgl wrote:From what I have been able to ascertain, I need to manually partion the drive and add the boot loader manually as well.

I'll try hitting up the Sabayon forums first, they claim to support this config out of the box.

So, I hit up the Sabayon Live Chat and the only response that I received was "Try the forums"; which I searched and found to be unhelpful in this instance. I also looked through a ton of Gentoo support pages, but didn't get too far.

Then I found a few pages about installing OS X on the X220. Some of these folks were experiencing the same issue that I encountered. It turns out that there are a few things in the X220 BIOS that need to be tweaked (in the menus) to switch "Legacy Mode" off entirely. Once the X220 is completely in UEFI mode, Sabayon set-up GPT and the necessary /boot/efi configs automatically.

So, it's only been a few hours of play, but hardware seems to be working using default settings. I haven't enabled the fingerprint scanner or the 3G WAN yet. I must say that I do like the Sabayon thus far!

If anyone has questions, let me know.

Cheers!
mediamgl

Return to Help!