Issue 181 Voip client roundup

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Issue 181 Voip client roundup

Postby johnlane » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:55 pm

I've been tinkering with VOIP over the past couple of weeks and was therefore quite chuffed to find 181 land on my doorstep with a VOIP client roundup.

I was encouraged to see Jitsi make your recommendation but, I have to say, I can't get the damn thing to work. it just keeps crashing.

The also consider boxout mentions LinPhone and I wonder why it wasn't included in the roundup, especially considering "it's what we use on our Android phones". For me, it works and is the only client I have been able to get working sufficiently well to be able to make and receive calls.

A boxout on SIP gateways would have been handy too. I'm using SipGate and have also looked at Smartvoip and LinPhone's own SIP Gateway.

I'd be interested to hear others' successes/failures with VOIP.
johnlane

Re: Issue 181 Voip client roundup

Postby geekybodhi » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:33 pm

johnlane wrote:I've been tinkering with VOIP over the past couple of weeks and was therefore quite chuffed to find 181 land on my doorstep with a VOIP client roundup.

I was encouraged to see Jitsi make your recommendation but, I have to say, I can't get the damn thing to work. it just keeps crashing.

Are you running the stable version and not their nightly builds?

johnlane wrote:The also consider boxout mentions LinPhone and I wonder why it wasn't included in the roundup, especially considering "it's what we use on our Android phones". For me, it works and is the only client I have been able to get working sufficiently well to be able to make and receive calls.

I just wanted to cast the net wider. LinPhone does get our vote when I say I use it on my phone, but I wanted to try out the other apps as well. Jitsi is hitting all the right buttons and their Android client is coming up pretty nicely.

johnlane wrote:A boxout on SIP gateways would have been handy too. I'm using SipGate and have also looked at Smartvoip and LinPhone's own SIP Gateway.

I'd be interested to hear others' successes/failures with VOIP.

I was using ippi.fr, but now use Ostel which does end-to-end encryption. Btw, they recommend using the service via the CSipSimple Android client.
geekybodhi

Postby johnlane » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:03 pm

I was using the stable Jitsi and kept getting this:

java: pcm.c:2731: snd_pcm_area_copy: Assertion `dst < src || dst >= src + bytes' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

So I tried the nightly (2.5.20140131) and it had the same problem.

I use ArchLinux, without PulseAudio (in case that has any effect).
Linux myhost 3.12.2-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 29 21:14:15 CET 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I hear what you say about Jitsi hitting all the right buttons which is why I would like to get it working. I will also take a look at Ostel, thanks for the tip.
johnlane

Postby geekybodhi » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:30 pm

I was about to suggest that you post this on the Jitsi user's list and then I see that you've already done so :) I hope someone can point you in the right direction. Cheers!
geekybodhi

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs