PiFace article in LXF180

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

PiFace article in LXF180

Postby davidknibb » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:43 am

I've been following the PiFace article on P70. The section on 'programming relays' seems to me to be a bit shoddy.
Firstly - no reference to where the different input/outputs on PiFace are - which makes following the set up difficult. But most difficult is the statement 'wire up the circuit as per the diagram'. There is no diagram - just a poor photograph which gives no indication as to the wiring. Could you please publish on this forum somewhere the missing diagram.
Also - lack of care in proof reading the code snippets
For example we have both
pifacedigitalio.init()
&
pifacediigital.io.init()

I think that several of the other articles need a critical eye as to how clear they are, how they guide a novice(in the particular area of the article). Ask the question - critically "does the article succeed in showing an averagely intelligent and informed reader how to achieve the goals of the article". There are several in 180 that in my opinion don't achieve this.

You've a new team - sit down an be critical - in a friendly way - of each tutorial article.

I've had LXF for many years - and this is not the time to allow a drop in editorial quality.

David
davidknibb

Postby ChrisThornett » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:03 am

Thanks for your comments, David. I think, maybe, the best thing to say is that it's an ongoing battle that we intend to win and your constructive thoughts on the matter are very much appreciated.

Here's the Missing PiFace diagram from LXF180, p70, supplied by Les Pounder.
ChrisThornett
Site admin

Thanks

Postby davidknibb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:46 pm

I can get on with it now

David
davidknibb

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs