Distro Wars

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Distro Wars

Postby ladi » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:02 pm

I am getting quite fed up of people who use the following phrase in their signatures:- "Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "I can't configure Slackware".

I think it creates the wrong impression that Slackware is hard to use, which is not true. Slackware is probably the most configurable distro out there. If you want 'hard to configure', try Gentoo! I myself gave up on it after a while!

I would expect some fairness from a forum such as this. Slackware tends to get used on servers, but it is quite happy on a destop. It does not have large companies behind it that the likes of SuSE and Fedora or Mandriva have, as it's actually a one-man show. All that is required is to know your way around the system, and not depend on GUIs to do all your dirty work for you.

By the way, the claimed definition would imply that some ancient Africans could configure Slackware!

What do you folks think?

Ladi

P.S.

Oh, in case you guys did not notice, Africa is actually a continent, which has more countries and languages than just about every other one. Would one of these wise guys like to specify which language the word comes from?

Before you guess, be warned that I'm an African!
ladi
LXF regular

RE: Distro Wars

Postby Nigel » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:15 pm

I think you'll find it's a play on words from the Ubuntu marketing blurb, which says
"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word that means "humanity towards others"

They don't specify which language either, and they (Canonical, the company that sponsors Ubuntu) are (South)African.

Ubuntu seems to be getting quite popular because it doesn't need much (if any) configuration on modern boxes. Linux the easy way :)

Me, I'm a long-term SuSE user, though I have used other distros (including Slackware).
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:16 pm

'Ubuntu' comes from Xhosa and Swahili if I remember correctly. I think those sigs are just light humour, and are actually pro-Slackware -- implying (as you say) it's not as hard as it looks!

(Ironically, I ran Slackware for three years and loved it, but am now an Ubuntu user. Mainly because the Universe repositories provide nigh-on every tiny library I need for compiling HotPicks :-) )

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:46 pm

I'm sorry, maybe I should change it to
"Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "I have no sense of humour"
:(

BTW, whatever gave you the idea that Gentoo is hard to configure? I use it on several computers, and if someone stupid enough to use such a sig can configure it, anyone can.

PS I did study geography at school and, although it was a long time ago, I do still remember that Africa is a continent.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Hudzilla » Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:31 pm

It's worth three re-inforcements, too!
Hudzilla
Site admin

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:06 pm

ladi

As you spend more time on this forum you'll notice that some of us like to indulge in a little light-hearted humour, as M-Saunders says. There is no malice behind it and we certainly don't mean to offend anyone. So don't take it too seriously.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby ladi » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:11 pm

Looks like I upset a few folk. Completely accidental, of course!

I forgot to say, please indicate your distro before commenting!
ladi
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:09 pm

You probably want to steer clear of LinuxQuestions.org, that's where I nicked it from :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:32 pm

dammm, and what do you think,, there i was thinking, thats actually what Ubuntu meant :roll:

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:23 pm

ROTFL
nelz
Site admin

Return to Discussion