Mint 15 Mega Mix - deleting some desktops

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Mint 15 Mega Mix - deleting some desktops

Postby petlon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:31 am

The DVD with LXF174 had a Linux Mint 15 Mega Mix compilation with three desktops and Unity. I installed it on a spare partition of my hard disk and have tried all desktops. I like KDE the best and have installed many extra KDE packages.

I'd like to now uninstall the other desktops but I'm not sure how to do that safely without affecting KDE. Previous attempts to do a similar operation resulted in disaster and a non-working system. :(

Can you please tell me the correct procedure? Do I use Synaptic and if so how without affecting KDE?

Thanks for any help.
petlon

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:34 am

Not Synaptic, as it doesn't support auto-remove. Use the command line

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get --just-print --auto-remove purge $(dpkg --get-selections | awk '/^cinnamon/ {print $1}')

Will show the Cinnamon packages to be removed, run again without --just-print to actually remove them. Rinse and repeat for Unity and Mate.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Mint Mega Mix - deleting some desktops

Postby petlon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:32 am

Thanks, Nelz, all done as you suggested and successful.
Rinse not on the system (I think it's rpm only) so used:

# apt-get clean
# apt-get autoclean
# apt-get autoremove

which was all OK and effective. After a reboot the KDE desktop boots quicker too, or maybe I'm kidding myself. :D
petlon

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:53 am

"Rinse and repeat" is an idiom, not an executable :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 pm

nelz wrote:"Rinse and repeat" is an idiom, not an executable :)

Isn't that something to do with hair conditioning...

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:53 pm

Yes, it goes back to the old joke:

Q: How do you keep a programmer occupied indefinitely?

A: Give him a bottle of shampoo and tell him to follow the instructions.
nelz
Site admin

Postby northumbrian1 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:54 pm

That's an old one about the programmer - but it was still a laugh!

I used to work in Warrington when I lived in Liverpool (knotty Ash), I worked at Rylands Cables - (drawing steel onto reels - destined to be cut into nails) a bit different from British Insulated Calendar Cables, in Prescott, Lancashire, since I was taught Wire-drawing there extruding Aluminium, Brass, Copper and Cadmium (before they realised it was carcinogenic from the gas the metal gives off)!

I evolved (changed jobs for Plessey (nearer home) PLC on Edge Lane, Liverpool and spent a good while there learning administration and working with BT nine-foot Exchange Carriers using a device at the time called a Strowger (which is why the works was called the Strowger Works). At the time BT was very cagey about their System X which wasn't all that hush-hush in my opinion but kept my mouth shut anyway.
northumbrian1

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs