installing a distro using qemu from the dvd?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby boudiccas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:33 am

I've been a subscriber to 'Linux Format' for many years now and have accumulated lots of installation DVD's. I've recently become interested in virtual machines, and so I'm looking to install some distros off the dvd's. But how? There are no iso's, and no recognisable script for doing so.

So, is it possible for me to install using qemu/cli a single distro off the dvd's, without having to download the iso's off the net please? i've googled for it and come up with a blank, but I want to run the dvd as part of a normal session, install a distro from the dvd , and then take the dvd out of the caddy - job done!

Any ideas please?

Thanks
Sharon.
boudiccas

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:11 am

You can install direct from the DVD, it's how I test the distros on the DVD in the first place.

Code: Select all
qemu hd.img -cdrom /dev/dvd -any-other-options

Or you can use the dvd2usb script to generate a hybrid ISO image and pass that file to qemu as the image file.

Recent DVDs contain a MakeISO script in most of the distro's directories, which creates an ISO of just that distro, but this is unnecessary for use with an emulator.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby boudiccas » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm

I've tried 'qemu ~/qemu/test.img -cdrom /media/cdrom0 -any-other-options' with zero success.

So I tried using 'MakeISO' after copying it to /usr/local/bin, which failed because I use debian-testing, which does not have 'mkisofs' as it uses 'genoisoimage'.

But I have been successful with a pre-downloaded image of '173.iso' from the linux format archives. It loads and I've been able to start a iso and get the graphical menus displaying.

Maybe that is the only way in which I can successfully get distros to test with 'aqemu'.
boudiccas

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:14 pm

Moving MakeISO from its location on the DVD is guaranteed to break it.

If you just want an ISO of the whole DVD, use dvd2usb.sh from the DVD, which creates such an ISO.

That's interesting about MakeISO not working on Debian, I shall modify it to look for either mkisofs or genisoimage in future.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!