OOo speed ups

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

OOo speed ups

Postby duff » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Whilst browsing a couple of other sites I found these speed up tricks for OpenOffice.org.

Go to Tools / Options / Java and uncheck "Use a Java runtime environment".

This seemed to speed up my startup of OOo2 on a 1GHz Athlon with 1Gb RAM. I haven't lost any functionality yet and as far as I can gather Java is used for JDBC connections and little else in OOo. It's also reported as working in NeoOffice - the Mac Os X OOo port which I think does use Java more!

Go to Tools / Options / Memory and increase Graphics cache Use for Openoffice.org to 64Mb and Memory per object to 8Mb.

Let me know if anyone else notices any differences.

Cheers

Duff
duff

RE: OOo speed ups

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:49 pm

I've tried those before, and have seen monitor. One of the problems with these tips is that people forget about (or aren't aware of) disk caching. They start OOo, which takes ages, then apply the tip and restart it straight away. Because OOo is still cached in RAM, it comes back up much quicker, so people assume the tip has worked wonders! Will be interesting to see the results others have...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Fri Oct 28, 2005 1:59 pm

Unchecking Java definitely works, as I posted in here some months ago. ~~It reduced my OOo startup times to well under a minute! Impressive eh?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby RDP » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:32 pm

If you don't want to loose Base and multimedia support on distros like Debian, that use a free version of Java that's _very_ slow, installing and using Sun's java makes it much quicker all round.
RDP

Postby RD » Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:48 pm

Hmm, theres not much point to this as far as i can see as with just a standard OOo install i can open it up with a time of

12.60 Sec's after these little tweaks i can open it with a time of 8.17 sec's, i find that the first one is not bad at all and i dont this that the extra few secs of waiting time is that much of a problem :?
RD
LXF regular

Return to Discussion