Bugs

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Bugs

Postby lxfadmin » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:19 pm

As ever, we expect there to be some bugs in the site. Hopefully nothing major.
I have already discovered that the ordered list BBCode doesn't seem to work, for example. The smaller bugs we can fix, but please post any repeatable bugs here so we know what we're dealing with.
lxfadmin

RE: Bugs

Postby andychannelle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:37 am

I don't know what it is, but my log in doesn't seem persistant. I came into the site originally using the 'tina' subdomain address and registered (I said to 'remember me' when logging in), but when I came in through .com I had to log in again. Will I have to re-log in when the .co.uk address goes live. Not a big problem, but I thought the various domains just pointed to the same site.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby M0PHP » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:50 am

Also, the "On the forums..." section on the menu - the read/unread state of topics isn't changing straight away.
M0PHP
LXF regular

Re: RE: Bugs

Postby jamiet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:01 pm

andychannelle wrote:I don't know what it is, but my log in doesn't seem persistant. I came into the site originally using the 'tina' subdomain address and registered (I said to 'remember me' when logging in), but when I came in through .com I had to log in again. Will I have to re-log in when the .co.uk address goes live. Not a big problem, but I thought the various domains just pointed to the same site.

Just thought I'd add my thoughts to this. I believe the remember me function relies upon cookies. Cookies are registered and tied to the domain issuing it. This means when you visit the site using a different domain (regardless of the fact that all the domains point to the same server) the functionality will look for a cookie from the current domain and this will not exist.

I would not call this a bug of the website more a side effect of how cookies work.

HTH,

JamieT
jamiet

Re: RE: Bugs

Postby evilnick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:03 pm

jamiet wrote: I believe the remember me function relies upon cookies. Cookies are registered and tied to the domain issuing it.

JamieT

That's exactly it. You will have to reenter on the .co.uk domain (which is live now, at least here, the DNS may take a while to propagate).
evilnick

RE: Re: RE: Bugs

Postby andychannelle » Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 pm

tsk. I can't believe you made me type my username (well, Firefox did it for me) and paste that password from the registration form THREE TIMES! I've waited all this time for the site to return and you haven't even completely rewritten the way web browsers handle cookies. What on earth have the LXF team been doing during the downtime?
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:58 pm

M0PHP wrote:Also, the "On the forums..." section on the menu - the read/unread state of topics isn't changing straight away.

No , it doesn't. It get's cached to cut down on the overhead for the front page.
evilnick

Postby brian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:11 pm

Seen a problem tonight using Firefox 1.0.2. The page is not rendering properly. anyone else seen this?

http://www.brianweston.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/linuxformat.png
brian

Postby Andy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:15 pm

Hi Brian,

I haven't seen the problem that you're describing and I am on 1.0.2.

Perhaps it is something else? I'm not sure what it could be - have you tried clearing any browser cache or refreshing the page?

Andy
Andy

Postby brian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:42 pm

yes tried both, seems to be intermitent. Can take upto 10 refreshes to get the page to display correctly :x
brian

Postby nelz » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:43 pm

Try Browsing -> resize large images to fit... in Firefox's prefs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby brian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:02 pm

already set I'm afraid
brian

Postby brian » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:19 pm

found out why this is happening...just before I started getting this problem I Adblock'd the subs.gif at the top right hand side,unblock it and all is well.

Tested this theory and its defo this...try it out for yourself
brian

Postby guy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:42 pm

Just a small irritant for nonregistered visitors.
The black message line under the main blue title panel has a text link in it - to the login/register page, I think. The link text can go very dark (when the page has been visited?) and hard to see.
Us registered users don't get any links in there so we don't see the problem.

Cheers,
Guy
guy
LXF regular

Postby lxfadmin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:54 pm

brian wrote:found out why this is happening...just before I started getting this problem I Adblock'd the subs.gif at the top right hand side,unblock it and all is well.

Tested this theory and its defo this...try it out for yourself

I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere...

Not entirely sure how adblock recodes the page, but dumping out that gif would screw up the table.

I can't seem to get the News stories working in Firefox at the moment - click on a story or a comment and I get "Bad arguments for API function" at the moment - anyone else getting that?

Guy - thanks for that - it used to be grey in the default postnuke theme which wasn't great so I changed the style for that link, but I need to change the colour for the visited link too.
lxfadmin

Next

Return to This Website