Getting a Linux ssh connection to look like a windows one.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Getting a Linux ssh connection to look like a windows one.

Postby reklan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:00 am

Hi guys,

I have a question for you all..

currently I have users that connect to a program that is running from a Linux server (Cent OS 4.8 )

They use windows and terraterm to ssh onto the server.. I would like to start to convert them to use Linux desktops.. however i have one problem..

when I ssh onto the server to login to the program.. it looks like this..

(this is from a Ubuntu 10.04 machine.. I get the same from Debian or a Cent OS machine)

However from windows and terrterm i get this..

no matter what i try it still come out and letter rather than the line drawings..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:56 am

What's the problem? Tell your users that you're changing the OS, that the change may bring some visual changes but that the functionality and productiveness of their systems will not be affected negatively. Give them an intro to the Linux desktop in a sort of meeting where you show where they can find what program/application. Be aware of sensitivities surrounding the move, break up the move into manageable chunks so you won't have to do the intro to your whole user base at once and generally be there when they have questions (or make sure there's someone who knows Linux well enough to troubleshoot problems when (not if) they arise :))

Best of luck with the move! :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:13 am

The main problem is that the main program becomes unusable due to the line drawings being replaced by the text..

while on the log in and main menu, it can be just acceptable..in the actual main section of the program, where there are large sections of data separated by the line drawings.. it becomes unreadable.. (as this is a sales\accounts and lab program, this is a major problem)

why would the windows ssh render the line drawing, but the linux ssh connection not?
reklan

Postby towy71 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:39 pm

Windows is using the extended ASCII Codes and Ubuntu interprets them in the only way it knows how. There must be a way of getting Ubuntu to use those characters but I don't know it :(
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Paradigm Shifter » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

Shouldn't it be a case of changing the terminal character encoding? Although how that can be done will vary...
Paradigm Shifter

Postby Ram » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Paradigm Shifter wrote:Shouldn't it be a case of changing the terminal character encoding? Although how that can be done will vary...

Well in Ubuntu, launch a Terminal then click Terminal on the menu bar, then Set Character Encoding, then Add or Remove on the left hand pane scroll down to and select Western ISO-8859-1 click the right pointing arrow to move to the right hand pane and close.

click Terminal on the menu bar, then Set Character Encoding, then click Western ISO-8859-1 to make it the default encoding.

Test.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:32 pm

tried that and doesn't seem to make a difference..

doing some more searches on the extended ascii bit brings up IBM codepage 437..

which may solve it.. going to search more and come back to you all
reklan

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 pm

note that some terminal emulators need a restart before changes are updated.
Have you tried PuTTY?
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html
One of the most configurable SSH clients, cross platform too.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Help!