Visual problem with Firefox 12

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Visual problem with Firefox 12

Postby stuarte9 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:28 pm

Hi,

I'm currently having an appearance problem with Firefox 12.0 on Fedora 15. Its visual appearance leaves a lot to be desired.

In case it helps, I'm using an NVidia Geforce FX5200 with 256MB onboard memory and the Firefox 15 Noveau driver.

The symptoms on Firefox 15, using the Google home/search page as an example, are as follows.

The boxes that should be in black along the top of the page are actually white. Each box is separated from the next by a vertical line which projects beneath the shared horizontal line along the bottom of those boxes.

The Google title graphic appears only sometimes.

The flashing cursor in the mid-screen search box projects down across the bottom of the search box.

The two buttons labelled "Google Search" and "I'm Feeling Lucky" have their labels "written" right on the bottom inside edge of their respective buttons.

Has anyone else seen this sort of behaviour from Firefox 12.0 ? If so, do you know if it can be fixed and if so, how ?

The curious thing is, I regularly use Firefox 9 on MS Windows 7. On that platform, this earlier Firefox displays just fine. No sign of the symptoms mentioned above.

I would have thought that as Firefox originated on Linux, the Linux-based Firefox would be the one to show up best. Oh well.

Any help that anyone can give with this would be very much appreciated.

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby roseway » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:01 am

Those problems sound more like graphics glitches to me. It's certainly not normal behaviour for Firefox (on Linux or any other platform). Have you tried other browsers on that PC?
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby stuarte9 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:35 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Yes I have. Just prior to typing this reply, I fired up Google Chrome 18.0.11025.151. Very nice appearance. No graphics/visual problems there at all.

I take your point that Firefox should look good regardless of the platform. This I verified in my original posting, viz-a-viz, Firefox 9 on Windows 7.

As you say these problems sound more like graphics glitches, do you think the Nouveau driver in Firefox 15 may be the problem ?

I just typed nouveau into KPackageKit. It returned one package with a green tick beside it. So the only package/driver it could find is already installed.

Where to from here ? Ahh, the joys of learning. ;-)

Best regards,

Stuart
stuarte9

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:30 pm

At least some of these effect could be caused by a defective theme. Try shutting down Firefox, renaming ~/.mozilla and restarting it. Or run it as a different user.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby lok1950 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:24 pm

Just a point of info Firefox has nothing to do with the Nouveau driver that is the Nvidia Open source driver with some 3D support so it should be associated with fedora 15 not Firefox :wink: BTW why use a distro that is no longer supported time to upgrade to fedora 17.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Return to Help!