RE: Linux kernel and DRM

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Ombra » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Ram wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Note that it is impossible to totally remove DRM from Windows, it is built in to the Kernel at a very low level.

You beat me to that one...

I'm falling behind on my correspondence here, so what follows is my 'nail two birds with one stone' ploy to try and cut corners.

It ain't necessary to "totally remove DRM" from XP Pro to render it harmless and helpless. True, one like myself would much prefer total eradication, but then there would be little reason to switch to Linux. You only need to erase enough of Lil Billies DRM crud (er, I mean wonderful hidden 'features') to render it null, and stop it from replicating what you deleted. Research indicates I'll be able to erase about 90%, and I'm hopeful continued Google searches will yield more results. As for Vista & Win7, decrudifying these look to be a lost cause, although the script kiddies still seem to be hopeful (I've been a dedicated lurker on their sites for quite a while).
Ombra

Postby Ram » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:05 am

Yes but at the end of the day the kernel is closed and there is nothing you can do about if an updates activates a new feature until someone comes along to close it for you.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:48 am

You can't remove or disable all DRM in Windows because it is built-in at the lowest level.
Unless you run an illegal hacked version. What do you think the windows license code is? Yep, its DRM, and just the tip of the iceberg.

The stuff you are worrying about in the Linux kernel is just minor optional stuff compared to what's enforced in the fundamental NT kernel.
There is no way that anyone but Microsoft can truly know what's in there, whereas the Linux kernel is open, anyone can view what's in it, and can recompile it to suit themselves.

Anyway, DRM is not really a thing in itself, it is simply a way of using security systems.
Those systems usually have perfectly legitimate uses.

What you haven't said is why are you so determined to remove all security measures from your kernel?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:38 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:What you haven't said is why are you so determined to remove all security measures from your kernel?

He's not, AFAICT. Removing it all is easy enough, but the OP seems to want a distro where someone else has already done this for him.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Ah, but if someone else has compiled the Kernel, how can he be sure?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 pm

He can't, which is why he needs to compile his own kernel - although some kernels do export their config to /proc/config.gz.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:52 pm

And if he get lxf 160 there's a brief article to help him...

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Ombra » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:55 am

Ram wrote:Yes but at the end of the day the kernel is closed and there is nothing you can do about if an updates activates a new feature until someone comes along to close it for you.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/securi ... insta.html

Yes, the kernel is closed...for now. That don't mean some nasty script kiddie won't crack it tomorrow, next month, etc.
Its a waiting game, and one reason why I'm a devoted lurker on the cracker sites. As for Microsoft Updates, do you really think after the firefox sabotage (linked to above) I would trust them to access my PC, anymore than Sony (after their rootkit fiasco)?
Ombra

Postby Ram » Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:20 am

And that's nothing to do with the kernel, just a Microsoft registry hack.

Ram
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:50 am

This thread is getting dangerously long. Has it hit Godwin's law yet?

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:57 am

Who is Godwin? Some sort of DRM Nazi?

:lol:
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:19 am

That's it then :)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:29 am

Except you can't invoke Godwin's Law deliberately, so all I've done is condemn this topic to eternal continuation... or at least until the OP gets the idea of an open source kernel :)
nelz
Site admin

Postby roseway » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:45 am

Don't worry, he's raised it in the Debian forums, and they're an argumentative lot so I expect it will get a good airing there. :D
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby pastychomper » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:05 pm

roseway wrote:Don't worry, he's raised it in the Debian forums, and they're an argumentative lot ... :D

No they're not! :twisted:
pastychomper

PreviousNext

Return to Help!