login fails after upgrade

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

login fails after upgrade

Postby delboy » Wed May 30, 2012 9:15 am

I was running Ubuntu 11.10 without any problems and I decided to upgrade over the internet to 12.04. All appeared to go well and I eventually got my desktop back with the latest version installed.
I then did a reboot.
The standard window appeared asking for my password; entered password, the screen went black briefly with a few lines of white text then password screen reappeared.
If I use 'ctrl+alt+F1' I can log in to text mode ok.
I have done the following without success: changed my password, just in case: changed display manager to gdm; removed /.Xauthority: removed X0-lock file: updated nVidia drivers: added repository 'ppa.launchpad.net/mterry/ppa2/ubuntu and done update: 'startx' gives 'fatal server error, server already active for display 0 .... invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE -1, key invalid.
My system is : Athlon 64 (x2) 4200 with 2GB RAM,a Radeon X1800XT video card and 100GB hard disk.
I have spent a lot of time getting my desktop the way I like it and I would like to get it back!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
delboy

Postby nordle » Wed May 30, 2012 8:50 pm

I had the same issue with 11.10, but you did not.

Eve worse, with 12.04. I'd enter the password, it would do nothing after pressing enter.
The only way round this was to alt+F2 to another terminal, log in via text, sudo service lightdm restart, then login via graphical method. Then wash, rinse, repeat 2-3 times. Eventually getting a desktop.

Updating to nvidia-post-release updates fixed this.....sort of. Now I'm back to having to enter my password twice at the lightdm login, but at least its consistent in letting me login on the 2nd attempt each time, without having to restart the lightdm service.

Sorry, no solutions from me to your issue.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Wed May 30, 2012 10:38 pm

Could be as simple as your GUI login is using one language say American and your text login using GB.

If your using special characters in your password such as £, you'll get # etc.

As your GUI screen goes black then displays text, it could be that it's not able to display the failed authentication password box of a wrongly entered password.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby delboy » Thu May 31, 2012 9:30 am

Hello nordle, tried your first suggestion; no luck I'm afraid! Also updating nvidia didnt help either, but thanks for your response.

Hello Ram, I'm not using any special characters for my login. If I enter a wrong password the screen says "invalid password ". I also changed my password from a text login just in case. I can login in when in text mode so the password must be ok?
Also , thanks for your reply
delboy

login fails after update

Postby delboy » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:30 am

Hello everyone,
eventually I did "apt-get update" and all works now. I did this after contacting MGLUG.
delboy

Return to Help!