New Linux user with a slightly big ambition?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby Dexter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Well, uh-hm.. This is my site unvielling. I have done a lot of research in to what will make a good, reliable and cheap Linux computer. The results are the NEW computer I'm offering on the front page. My store will have some obscure items like original Xboxes with Linux pre-installed but I'm hoping to be able to sell a range of new custom built home computers aswell as little media centers and gaming rigs.

Be blunt, be honest and be constructive.

http://www.freewebstore.org/Legacy-Linux

Thank you.
Dexter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:00 pm

A good start, if a little sparse :)
Something that might give you ideas for an offering:
Multi-seat solutions.
Like this:
http://userful.com/

(I am writing an article on multi-seat at the moment, and have experimented with it in the past)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

That's definetely interesting and very helpful design wise. I am incredibly hindered though, because I'm useless at programming /HTML. Because of this my site is very basic.

I'm not sure how I could sell myself support wise. I can troubleshoot and fix issues but other than that I really don't know what I could do.

The computers are built on order due to my lack of capitol and confidence in sales. If I manage to sell one computer though, then that's good enough for me. I'll count it as a success.

I am familair with Photoshop and other Adobe softwares because that's what I have been learning for the past year. I do prefer GIMP and a whole host of other Linux Adobe alternatives like Inkscape. I'd like to offer tutorials/lessons using these softwares. But, it's best not to run before you can walk.
Dexter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:09 pm

If you like, PM me and I'll email you my old Multi-seat feature.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:19 am

One thing that irritates me is that the LPI course insists on you learning vi, which is just a waste of time if you ask me.
A bit like the A+ exams which used to go into DOS memory modes long after they were irrelevant.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Hmm would anyone recommend the open university? Due to some pretty terrible circumstances I was unable to take GCSEs at school but despite this I have passed Level 1- 2 city & guilds system support, and a level 3 in intetactive media. I know for a fact that a regular uni wont touch me and im considering computer science at.the open university.
Dexter

Postby reklan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:37 am

I would recommend it.. Did a number of course with them myself..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby Dexter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:00 pm

Ahh what did you do? I'm looking at the computing and IT but I can't see the modules I'd be covering so it's difficult for me to make any decision.
Dexter

Postby Brian Hunter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:18 pm

I am currently doing Mathematics with the Open University and I am enjoying it. Going through a bit of a lull at the moment, but I will no doubt bounce back into it.
Brian Hunter

Postby reklan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:55 pm

The ones I did are :-

THD204 Information Technology and Society
M206 Computing: An Object Orientated Approach.
S281 Astronomy and Planetary Science

although I beleive that these particular course are no longer run (it was the back end of the 90's).

The support was great, either by phone, email or face to face.

It was in the early days of when the OU was starting to go online for the tutors and students.. It was great then.. even better now.

if you get the chance do it.. they don't pre judge anyone on their existing qualifications or lack off.. its a great way to get qualifications, and you get to meet/speak to like minded people..
reklan

Postby Dexter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm

Is an open University degree worth as much as your standard degree?
Dexter

Postby reklan » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:45 pm

A degree is a degree.. ( no matter which uni its from... Obviously apart from an Oxbridge one)

You still have to study for it and also have pass the exams.

To be honest.. IMHO.. if somebody applied for a position that I had advertised.. If the applicant had an OU degree, to me that would speak volumes..

Usually, someone with an OU degree, has relised they want to better themselves, they, have made a well informed descision to get a degree in a subject they are passionate about.

They usally have had to study at home AFTER doing a days work. Is more committed to getting the qualifications.

I'm not dismissing the traditional degrees.. But someone with an OU degree has had quite a lot to overcome to get it..
reklan

Previous

Return to Discussion