Windows 8

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:25 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:
reklan wrote:...this is the worst OS MS has done...

Please tell me you forgot about Vista?
Surely Win8 can't be worse than that abomination?

If it is I hope it never crosses my path, I still get the shakes when remembering having to keep fixing the Mother-In-Law's Vistat lappy :x.

Oh yes it can, and is.
Vista was unstable and slow, 8 is stable and fast, but replacing the start menu with the Metro UI makes it almost unusable.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:03 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:

If it is I hope it never crosses my path, I still get the shakes when remembering having to keep fixing the Mother-In-Law's Vistat lappy :x.

Much worse.. Vista, was ok on modern PC's. Win 8 is just wrong..
Don't Dream it....Be it..
reklan

Postby guy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:43 pm

MartyBartfast wrote:

You must both be too young to remember the early versions of Windows CE / Pocket PC.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:32 am

lol.. actually I did forget about those.. Never used CE, But used to have a HP Pocket PC.. I quite enjoyed it, funny enough..
reklan

Postby towy71 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:42 pm

What about Windows ME, that was definitely ill
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby reklan » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Win 8 makes ME look like a good OS..
reklan

Postby Nuke » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:09 pm

guy wrote:
MartyBartfast wrote:

You must both be too young to remember the early versions of Windows CE / Pocket PC.

You must be too young to remember Windows v3.0. It was on my first work PC and it was atrocious. It crashed about once an hour with the message "Unrecoverable Application Error", and also when you printed anything before saving it. It may have been the app's fault (but a decent OS should have handled that) or Windows' own fault, but the app always got the blame. We soon replaced it with v3.1, which was something of an improvement.

I kept my old work boxed copy of 3.0 until recently when I sold it on e-Bay as a collector's item! It came with a mouse, a big manual (they were good in those days) and a separate booklet explaining how to use the mouse thingy.

My bad experiences with WIndows 3.x steered me away from MS ever since. I don't know how they had the nerve to bring that trash to market. When I got my own PC I went straight to OS/2, and then Linux.

Funny thing is, most people back then thought that Windows 3.x was wonderful, and even today they claim it was OK for the time. But I bought a Psion Organiser at that time and it ran for 20 years without needing a reboot, except when I fumbled a battery change.
Unsolved mysteries of the Universe, No 13 :-
How many remakes of Anna Karenina does the World need?
Nuke
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm

I remember Windows 3.11. When I first saw it , I thought "This is rubbish compared to My Amiga" Then I saw Mac OS a month or so later, and thought "Why isn't everyone using this?"
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby reklan » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:05 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:I remember Windows 3.11. When I first saw it , I thought "This is rubbish compared to My Amiga" Then I saw Mac OS a month or so later, and thought "Why isn't everyone using this?"

We were... GEM om the Atari ST... :-)
reklan

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:01 am

And so it goes, a thread about Windows 8 becomes one about Windows 3.x and the gods alone know what else...
...perhaps I should move this thread to Off Topic.

;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 am

reklan wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:I remember Windows 3.11. When I first saw it , I thought "This is rubbish compared to My Amiga" Then I saw Mac OS a month or so later, and thought "Why isn't everyone using this?"

We were... GEM om the Atari ST... :-)

Second that..... oh still using it with gnome2

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Rhakios wrote:And so it goes, a thread about Windows 8 becomes one about Windows 3.x ...

A thread about Windows of whatever variety stands absolutely no chance, as it inevitably turns into a scathing tirade bemoaning its inferiority to any other operating system past or present. :wink:

You should have known better than to start this topic, Rhakios! :)
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:09 pm

Marrea wrote:You should have known better than to start this topic, Rhakios! :)

Not really, I did want to see what other people thought about it. Being an old curmudgeon it might be that whizzy touch interfaces aren't intended for people like me, and bright young things might think it to be the bee's knees. But there we go. Now that folk who have tried Windows 8 have run out of things to criticise about it, they feel obliged to run down Microsoft products of yesteryear and reminisce about those other OSes they miss. It seems only the curmudgeonly like trying new versions of Windows. ;)
Personally, I found Windows 7 to be not too bad, but it seems that Microsoft are incapable of learning from and building on their successes.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:30 pm

Rhakios wrote:Personally, I found Windows 7 to be not too bad, but it seems that Microsoft are incapable of learning from and building on their successes.

I really like Windows 7 and was hoping that 8 might be more of the same, only improved. Imagine my disappointment then when I discovered the hotchpotch it has turned out to be. If Windows 9 when it arrives doesn't revert to a more sensible interface and the day comes when support for 7 ceases I can well see me converting completely to Linux rather than running the two operating systems side by side as I have done for the last nine years.

I too am not of an age to appreciate whizzy touch interfaces! :roll:
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby guy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:00 pm

Rhakios wrote:Being an old curmudgeon it might be that whizzy touch interfaces aren't intended for people like me.

Speaking as one old curmudgeon to another, the other day I succumbed to a 7" Android Honeycomb tablet. Really nice to have a touchy-feely UI again after my eyes got too dodgy to read the old Psion Series 5 grey-on-grey any more. A bit of "Whaaat?!!" as things popped up and down while I was getting used to it, but thoroughly usable and way ahead of the reported Windows 8 experience.

I confess to cheating and getting the matching wallet with built-in USB keyboard. Sounds a horrible idea, but it's brilliant. The first usable smaller-than-a-netbook keyboard since the Psion heyday.

The netbook clips in and there's a little stand to prop it up so it sits on the table, transformed into a nifty little mini-netbook. Poke around the UI, type my life story, see the happy curmudgeon play. I genuinely feel that my PDA life has come out of a decade-long coma.

The whole lot gave me change from a hundred and fifty quid - a fraction of what I paid back in the day for the S5.

[edit] Postscript (and I don't mean the printing language).

If you want the same UI but bigger, you can get a 10" tablet and plug in a full-size keyboard.

The move from knob-covered oscilloscopes to touchscreens took a little getting used to. But it happened. If someone ever does a usable touchscreen system for the mainstream desktop, I will be first in the queue.
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS