New Linux user with a slightly big ambition?

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Linux user with a slightly big ambition?

Postby Dexter » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:35 pm

Hi, my name is Dexter, and I am a 20 year old IT enthusiast.

I've been following Linux ever since my windows drive got corrupted about 6 years ago, and I used opensuse to get my PC usable again. Since then I have become more aware of what I like in my software, and how I like it.

Now, 6 years on I have a C&G certificate in System Support (sadly not a job in that though) and I'm looking towards the next set of skills I could be learning. The money really doesn't come easy when you're learning to drive and have a girlfriend but I'm still a little optimistic.

I happen to be a really self proclaimed Eco-nut and while this may have led to a few insults at college, it never really dettered me. The thing is with Linux is that it'll run on anything. You can put it on a really old computer and it'll work like a charm. The good thing about old computers is they have a lower power consumption too, so that ticks a green box for me.

The other day I was asking myself "Why do people update computers so frequently?" Alot of people will update to play their latest games or watch the latest HD content and that is fine, but what about the huge majority that just update out of planned obsolecence.

Then my wacky idea came to me. Why not setup a shop? It will have to be online of course, but I could still offer my services to some of the people who are struggling to pay for food let alone a new computer.

I then proceeded to set up my website which I called Legacy Linux. It's not fully done yet and it uses a yucky free webhost, but it is there. My plan is to refurbish older computers and make them really comfortable to work with. I want to stress the importance of Linux, and the ease of use that now comes with it.

I will be selling these computers for peanuts making me about 10% overall. When/if I gain enough capitol I will start to sell custom built new computers aswell. Technology like the Intel Atom still keeps my vision of green computing alive and allows for some powerhouse computing.

As ambitious as this all is, If I get to this stage then I will donate %50 of my earnings to charities both within and outside of the UK.

My reason for doing this is pure, if I do make any money for me, it will just go towards my further improvement e.g. study.
Dexter

Postby lok1950 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:26 pm

Good idea but do make a complete business plan so you can convince the bean counter types :wink: that it's not just a dream besides doing so will tell you of any potential problems such as under capitalization,lack of market and so on.Good luck 8)

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Also bear in mind that the primary model within the FOSS community is to sell services such as support rather than products and you will most likely gain business through contacts rather than advertising.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:31 am

I'd love to be able to sell support and offer Windows to Linux solutions. The problem will always be 1. demand 2. capitol 3. time. I'd love to become a fully qualified linux adminstrator, though at the moment I'm looking in to Ubuntu training and then I'll see where I go from there. This is all pretty expensive on a super market wage...

Seriously, any advice would be great. I'm looking at every option; even looking at local venues for computer events where I could make my case.
Dexter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:22 pm

There are often old PCs on Freegle, or pallets of ex corporate ones on eBay.
It might be worth looking at charities, often they have really clunky old windows PCs with little or no support.
Whereabouts in the west Midlands are you?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Bromsgrove so pretty close. It's a really ambitious project that will take some time to go anywhere. The purpose is promote linux, recycling and greener computing. to donate to some sort of charity. and then finally make money. There's a lot that still needs to be worked out.
Dexter

Postby Dutch_Master » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Good to see someone taking his future into his own hands and not relying on others to hand it to him... :!:

Ambitious? Certainly. But you did pick the most prospective career path, as Unix and Linux sys-admins are sought after... A book worth the expense (even on your limited budget) is the "Unix and Linux administration Handbook" by Prentice Hall, ISBN 978-0-13-148005-6 This is the 4th edition (I also have the 3rd edition, but that doesn't have the Unix parts in it and is quite some years older) from June 2010. It has some 1,250+ pages of Unix and Linux knowledge and experience of seasoned sys-admins. Tim O'Reilly (of the competing O'Reilly empire) describes it in the foreword as a measuring stick for his own company, where he normally hardly takes notice of his competitors... ;) Your local library should be able to trace you a copy, so you can get an idea on if you find it worth the expense, but as it's also a bit of a reference book you may want to go for your own copy straight away :)

Best of luck!

PS: the idea of recycling old hardware by giving it "the Linux treatment" and then making it available to the less fortunate isn't new. You may find such a project near to you and they'd love to have you on board. Most of these volunteers have limited computer knowledge and your skills can lead them to new levels and perhaps even employability :D
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:08 pm

Thanks for the support. I never expected this topic to get such a warm reaction.

I'm after employment myself and I am in a pretty dead end town. I need to find somewhere to start, get my message out and start to work with people.

Computer classes?

The problem is using Linux just makes people go "eww" "who are you?" Linux has never really been seen as a viable alternative to windows. Sadly, the powers that be don't really want anyone to think otherwise.
Dexter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:48 pm

You could try visiting a LUG, SouthBirmingham (SBLUG) meet one Thursday a month I think.
I've never attended, because Thursday is our night for the pub.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 am

I did look into the LUG but it seems a bit dead.. There are a few things I need to do before any of this really becomes achievable. I need to work hard in my job to get a decent amount of money to work with. I need to find work experience from somewhere and I'd like to get qualified as an admin.

How do I go about doing the last one? Apprenticeships are non existant and I'd have to sell a limb to afford training :/
Dexter

Postby Dutch_Master » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:47 pm

Take the LPI route: study at home and do an exam (there are several levels) on events like trade shows: http://www.lpi.org/ tells you more :)

(note: on some shows, LPI exams are discounted in price. But in price only ;) They're still the full LPI exams and the results count just as much for your next level as you'd do a "full fare" exam!)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Dexter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:44 pm

So what you're saying is... Study in my own time and take an exam?
Dexter

Postby towy71 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:18 pm

Dexter wrote:So what you're saying is... Study in my own time and take an exam?
Yup that's how it works ;-)

http://www.lpi.org/exam-preparation/self-study
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Dexter » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:59 pm

Thanks for all the support. Certified or not I am following this through. Other options I am following are helping out the local Age UK computing classes and introducing the idea of Linux. This might be a little helpful to some people.

I am not just targeting the less fortunate with this scheme. I'm emploring everyone to join in and experience budget computer systems with a bang for your buck. I will be working hard to ensure my goal is achieved.

Here is my Twitter: http://twitter.com/dpatten91 I'm working on gaining community support through the right avenues and starting some hype.
Dexter

Postby towy71 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 pm

Ain't it odd how things turn up at just the right time, here is Mike Saunders "lpi-learn-linux-and-get-certified" page on tuxradar.com :) :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Next

Return to Discussion