New Linux User

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

New Linux User

Postby KevinsWill » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:42 am

Hello Guys,

Over the years, I frequently format my PC due to being infected by different kinds of viruses over and over again. I'm not an IT expert so I have someone to format my PC for me and it cost me a lot! It can be a bit uneconomical for me going back to the same repair shop and getting the same fix from time to time. So, I consulted a friend of mine to help me out. He suggested that I should use the Ubuntu OS instead. Guess what? It's been almost a month and I've got no virus problems. But since I'm a bit unfamiliar with the OS, I wanted to be a part of this forum and seek help regarding software installations, basic setups, etc. So I hope that I can learn a lot from you guys with this newly installed OS of mine. I will keep myself updated in this forum so that I can get more familiar with Ubuntu. It's been great so far. Cheers!

Kevin
KevinsWill

Postby nelz » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 am

Welcome!
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Nuke » Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:55 am

Welcome again.

There are of course quite a few Linux forums where questions might be answered, and I keep about 6 in my bookmarks. There are ones for Linux generally, ones for particular distros, Ubuntu in your case, and ones for topics like Linux networking; and they all have their sub-categories. If I have a problem I do a search around my favourites and often find a thread where my question has already been asked, and answered.

The advantage of the LXF forum is that it is relatively small (and friendly). On some of the bigger forums your post can roll over to the second page (or beyond) within an hour and thus pass out of sight and be unnoticed!
Nuke
LXF regular

Return to Discussion