iso image of linux distros for usb

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

iso image of linux distros for usb

Postby Pmatt » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:13 pm

I have use the DVD cover disks from Linux Format to try out various Linux distros on my desktop PC. However my netbook does not have an optical drive and Unetbootin requires an iso image to create a usb image for installation. Are the iso files on the cover disks but I am simply not looking in the right place, or is there another way of transferring an image to a usb stick?
I am reluctant to download the iso from the distribution websites as they are about 1GB which would take a long time and use up too much of my broadband allowance.
Pmatt

Postby towy71 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:49 pm

Nelz has provided instructions on the LXF154 disk to make an image and copy it to a usb stick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:06 pm

towy71 wrote:Nelz has provided instructions on the LXF154 disk to make an image and copy it to a usb stick

Please tell us where! I know how to do it for some of the Ubuntu family, including Mint, by running the Live DVD and then running usb startup disk creator, but I haven't a clue on other distros. Is it the same but using unetbootin instead of startup disk creator?

I've looked and searched, but I don't really know what to look for. In which section of the DVD is it, out of all these, because I can't find it anywhere:-

BackTrack 5
Linux Mint 12
Crux 2.7.1
System Rescue CD
Hack Linux
Hot Picks
Round Up
Podcasts
Tutorials
Help
Essentials
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:20 pm

Is it the same as the procedure mentioned here, only with the directory and file names changed appropriately?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:23 pm

It's mentioned in that paper thing glued to the back of the DVD :shock:

You'll find the script in the root of the DVD, with the cryptic name of dvd2usb.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby nelz » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Rhakios wrote:Is it the same as the procedure mentioned here, only with the directory and file names changed appropriately?

No, that creates a CD ISO image.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Just found that. But that requires an 8GB stick for the entire DVD, is there any way of getting just the individual distros for those who don't want the rest, or don't have an 8GB stick to hand?
I expect an 8GB SD card would work as well?

Edit: posts crossing in the mists of the 'net. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 am

Not reliably, because some of the distros have to be modified to multi-boot from the DVD. SystemRescueCD is one that is not modified to the extent that you can't write it to an ISO image separately (and that can be easily converted to boot from USB as well).

8GB sticks cost well under a tenner nowadays, so I didn't consider availability to be a real restriction. I expect an SD card would work if your netbook will boot from one, but I haven't tried it... yet.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Dutch_Master » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:32 pm

My 1st generation Asus EeePC (the ubiquitous 4GB 701 model) boots from SD card, so... :roll:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Pmatt » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:04 pm

nelz wrote:It's mentioned in that paper thing glued to the back of the DVD :shock:

You'll find the script in the root of the DVD, with the cryptic name of dvd2usb.

Thanks for the information but unfortunately it doesn't work. I have tried sudo fdisk -1/dev/sdX and the output does not give any logical report. At present I have LXDF154.img in my home folder but how do I move it to my 8GB usb stick?
The problem seems to be complicated by the assumption that we wish to use the whole DVD rather than the individual distros and that we have more than basic knowledge to try each of them out. Can it be made simpler for mere mortals?
Pmatt

Postby nelz » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:23 pm

It is a lot simpler on the next DVD, but it's the whole DVD or nothing for reasons already explained. You can't use fdisk on an ISO filesystem. Copy the image with dd as explained on the disk pages, or give the device name of your USB stick as an argument to the script and let it write the data directly.

I see no good reason to expend a lot of time trying to get individual distros copied to a USB stick when 8GB devics are plentiful and you are only using it for a short time usually. It would mean creating a custom script for every distro every month, and them testing it on as many systems as possible only to find it still breaks for some people (jigdo anyone?). Getting a single script to convert the whole DVD to USB that works the same every month is more reliable.
nelz
Site admin

Postby ajgreeny » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:20 pm

Pmatt wrote:
nelz wrote:It's mentioned in that paper thing glued to the back of the DVD :shock:

Thanks for the information but unfortunately it doesn't work. I have tried sudo fdisk -1/dev/sdX and the output does not give any logical report. At present I have LXDF154.img in my home folder but how do I move it to my 8GB usb stick?
The problem seems to be complicated by the assumption that we wish to use the whole DVD rather than the individual distros and that we have more than basic knowledge to try each of them out. Can it be made simpler for mere mortals?

The command you used was incorrect!

It should be
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX
where the 1 is replaced with a lower case L, and a space added after the l. Also, of course change the sdX to sda, or sdb etc.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby Pmatt » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 pm

ajgreeny wrote:
Pmatt wrote:

The command you used was incorrect!

It should be
Code: Select all
sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdX
where the 1 is replaced with a lower case L, and a space added after the l. Also, of course change the sdX to sda, or sdb etc.

Thanks AJGREENY that was the problem and I have now been able to copy the LXDF154.img to a usb memory stick and can try out the distros on my netbook.

Thanks also to everyone else who replied and gave their useful suggestions, it is much appreciated.
Pmatt

Postby nelz » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:21 pm

None of this shenanigans should be necessary with the next DVD. It will (well, should) detect any devices connected to the computer and give you a menu to choose the one you want.
nelz
Site admin

dvd2usb

Postby ulysses768 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:53 pm

dvd2usb didn't work at first for me. The command produced no output whatsoever. After reading through dvd2usb.sh, I saw that I needed to install dialog, which is not installed by default on Mint or Ubuntu. With dialog installed it worked perfectly.

If I might humbly suggest: perhaps the script should check /usr/bin/ for dialog and report to stdout.
ulysses768

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs