Microsoft reveals details of its Windows Store plan

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft reveals details of its Windows Store plan

Postby john_stiles » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:10 am

The BBC has just released a story about the forthcoming Microsoft online store due to arrive next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16066351

I suppose it was inevitable, but it does set one wondering. If "real" stores will only sell hardware with pre-installed software, is that an opportunity or threat for Linux and free software.

In the download world, Linux can have as fancy a store as anyone, their advertising warchest aside. Although it can be equally argued that the OS installed on the hardware will be, and remain to be, the lock in factor.

I will be interested to see if the Microsoft site will sell non MS products, as the Apple store does. Would that include Firefox or Chrome? I will not even suggest Libreoffice, but VLC or Audacity would make the criteria for inclusion problematic.

Since their software has been on line for years through retailers, how will this move affect that relationship. I would guess that whilst it will cut retailers profits, Linux are not in any position to benefit from that.

Maybe this is not even news and just an inevitable event turned into free publicity by the slick MS PR.
john_stiles

Postby Rhakios » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:56 pm

Ah yes, Microsoft, getting there after everyone else. I've yet to visit one of their physical shops, but I'm lead to believe they are a near-clone of Apple retail outlets. I wonder if the on-line store will look like Apple's app store too?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 pm

I do hope so, if only because it might tempt the fruit factory to sue :)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Discussion