A decentralized Facebook

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

A decentralized Facebook

Postby madoba » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:19 am

I have an idea! Billions of anonymous social network users across the globe connected in a community where the sharing of all words, blogs, pictures, videos, and comments are owned by the individuals that make up the system. Sort of like a Naptser for social communities. Instead of what you share ending up on some corporate server for them to mine and sell, why not leave that data on your computer and somehow have some FOSS organization build some mechanism to allow sharing of computers in one big social network.

Fuc! the cloud. Why should we give up our computers to google or facebook! Why do we want them to have our information? Why are we moving towards moving all of our ideas, thoughts, pictures, videos, etc... on some corporate server. There has got to be a better way to form a social community. I say it's computer to computer, especially when it comes to a social network site.
madoba

Postby towy71 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:24 am

I was on the point of deleting this post because you have posted the same topic on the Off Topic forum; that is very annoying and against netiquette :evil:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby madoba » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:29 pm

towy71 wrote:I was on the point of deleting this post because you have posted the same topic on the Off Topic forum; that is very annoying and against netiquette :evil:

As I can not, I would expect you to remedy by deleting the one least appropriate for the forum. You are more annoying, no comment was even necessary. :roll:
madoba

Postby PCNetSpec » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Personally I'd consider drawing users attention to forum "faux pas" as part of a moderators job, and yours as the unnecessary response.

:) .. and maybe mine :)
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby madoba » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:35 pm

PCNetSpec wrote:Personally I'd consider drawing users attention to forum "faux pas" as part of a moderators job, and yours as the unnecessary response.

:) .. and maybe mine :)

Sometimes a violation is the only remedy. A pattern it is not.
If only the moderator would have done what he was initially inclined to do (delete one of the postings) there would not now be 4 unnecessary posts. Moderator Please pretend I was never here. Please Delete this topic from both forums. What's the point anymore? The trolls are coming out.
madoba

Postby tandyn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Since madoba shows a lack of consideration for the rules and the moderator, I suggest both posts be deleted. I am sure there are many here, including myself, who do not want to see this devolve into a place of aggression. If the attitude continues, then to block the user for a length of time as per moderators discretion.
I love whisky and candy corn, but not at the same time.
tandyn

Postby nelz » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:19 pm

If you break the rules, expect to have it pointed out to you. Don't shoot the messenger, apologise and learn from the experience. That way, there is a chance that at least one reply in this thread may start discussing the content of your original post instead of its repetition.

I have deleted the surplus post, it is up to you whether you bring this thread back on topic.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby madoba » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:07 am

nelz wrote:If you break the rules, expect to have it pointed out to you. Don't shoot the messenger, apologise and learn from the experience. That way, there is a chance that at least one reply in this thread may start discussing the content of your original post instead of its repetition.

I have deleted the surplus post, it is up to you whether you bring this thread back on topic.

Sorry.
madoba

Postby Ram » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:01 am

madoba wrote:
towy71 wrote:I was on the point of deleting this post because you have posted the same topic on the Off Topic forum; that is very annoying and against netiquette :evil:

As I can not, I would expect you to remedy by deleting the one least appropriate for the forum. You are more annoying, no comment was even necessary. :roll:

Top right of your own post, Quote Edit X the X deletes.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:39 pm

nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm off down the garden to eat worms :P :wink:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Rhakios » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:57 pm

Isn't this what Diaspora was supposed to do, at least to a certain extent. I'm not sure what use an "anonymous" person on a social network might be, sort of negates the social bit really.
Of course, once the information is out there and available, any one can access it and make some use of it and with smart systems being able to match people's identities by patterns of internet use and language style, the hopes of staying forever anonymous to big corporations might prove to be in vain.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby guy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Um, sort of an anonymising file sharing tool like Freenet but without the anonymising bit.

I recall a time when every Mac came with a functioning web server and drag-and-drop http space, with the above idea pretty much in mind. Firewall? Nah, they weren't cool at the time. The assumption presumably was that no red-blooded Amurrican would ever turn his Mac off or have the brains to pwn somebody else's. It didn't last.

Nowadays we all want our loo paper stored in the Cloud* - why would anyone want to keep their publicly-shared stuff somewhere less accessible that gets turned off at night?

*Jokes welcome along the lines of:
"Isn't there an App for that? (Download and print your own bogroll)"
"Crapware, isn't it."
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Return to Discussion