What do you backup?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Everything including those embarrassing photos and my root partition
25%
Only important documents
38%
My music and Photos
38%
As much as I can, I don't want to reinstall!
No votes

Total votes : 8

What do you backup?

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:43 pm

I just started organising the backups on my external HDD, and I realised that I only need to backup photos and documents.
Most music I can re-rip from CDs, programs I can re-download, videos I only watch once.
I started with a 720GB backup, and realised that I only really need 15GB. (and I can probably trim that)
I take a 120GB offsite backup disk of my photos and docs everywhere with me in the boot of my car. (paranoid or what!) But I realised how little I really needed.
Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Brian Hunter » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:19 pm

Video files, music, documents folder. I run rsync once in a while to update my backups I've never been one to take photo's or the like, so I don't really have anything that would be a disaster to lose. Would be a pain in the arse, but that's it.

I used to backup /home, but it was a bit of a waste. When I reinstall a distro I like to start from a clean install.
Brian Hunter

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:29 pm

Well, got /home down to 122Gb.
That still includes 4 VMs, several isos and a load of unwatched videos (including the whole of B5)
How did I accumulate so much junk!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:41 pm

For ease I regularly rsync my /home to an external ext3 partitioned hard disk. I backup all the hidden files and folders as well as music, docs, videos, etc etc. Luckily I have never needed to restore a complete backup so far, as I have a separate /home partition, but I have occasionally had to get single files or folders that have gone awol, usually because I've done something utterly stupid, of course.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby MartyBartfast » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:49 pm

I back up everything, but then I don't have a lot, and I too rsync all the backups off to an external disk on another box.
I have been touched by his noodly appendage.
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Documents
Downloads
Music
Pictures
Podcasts
Videos
Are all synched with my sync server and then most of these are synched to my other machines. It takes up about 200G on the server. I suppose if I ever get around to encoding all my CD collection, that will grow by quite a bit.
Other stuff is replaceable or ephemeral and distros are easy enough to reinstall - Documents contains a folder called Archive that has recent tarballs of /etc in it.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby johnhudson » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:54 am

I just backup mysql and /home - so I cannot participate in the poll.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby mande01 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:58 am

I actually don't really do much when it comes to back up.

All the small stuff is on dropbox, which I have also set up on a little home server to I have a local copy with me if something goes south. I'm currently using 20% of 3.5 GB, this is important docs and current project work.

Photos are a different story, 67GB of photos.

rsync between ext drive, nas box, and a web hosting site, quite sweet!

App and videos can be downloaded again.

That's me.
mande01

Postby nelz » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:58 pm

/etc
/var
/home

Things that can be replaced, like CD and DVD rips, are stored on separate filesystems, so automatically excluded from the backup process.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:41 pm

Maybe we need another poll.
How sure are you that your backups work?

I have upgraded all of my PCs from Ubuntu11.04 to 11.10.
2 netbooks, 3 desktops, 1 laptop.
All upgrades in place, and no problems.

I always leave my Mythbuntu box until last. Lulled into a false sense of security, I didn't do a full backup, all the data is on a separate drive, so I just manually backed up my Zoneminder and MythTV databases, and /etc.

Disaster! after the update, X wouldn't start, in fact I was lucky if I got a command line after a reboot.
Some sort of driver issue, but after messing with xorg.conf, I still had no x screen, and even the CLI wasn't a given.
So I thought "about time for a refresh anyway" this PC has been upgraded every 6 months or so since Mythbuntu first went on it, 8.10 or 9.04.

reinstalled 11.04.
restored zoneminder database backup.
tried to restore MythTV database "unknown object in backup file"

It was around then that I found that all of the recent automated backups were 0 bytes in size.

After some frantic Googling, found that this error can be caused by the restore routine barfing over a large (40M+) file.
split 57M backup into 2 files, restored each- breathe sigh of relief.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:54 pm

The reason I am sure that my backups have worked is that they have only failed once (in 30 years if you count CP/M and DOS) as a result of a faulty CD and, because I use the child/parent/grandparent system, I was able to retrieve everything bar a handful of emails; I have done only a couple of full restores from backups but I have often retrieved a file from a backup when I had accidentally overwritten it and I have had no problems with that.

Since the CD problem I simulate a number of retrieves immediately after backing up to check that the disk is not faulty.

Also every time I install a new distro I have to restore my mysql data to /var and that has not failed so far!
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby bobthebob1234 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:17 am

I have all my uni work on ubuntu one which also helpfully syncs my work between my computers.

That is about the extent of my backups :shock:

Got all my dvds on a raid 1 nas (ok, not a real backup) but don't back up mythbuntu. Also most of my codes are on my svn
For certain you have to be lost to find the places that can't be found. Elseways, everyone would know where it was
bobthebob1234
LXF regular

Return to Hardware