The extremely sensible Linux Mint

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

The extremely sensible Linux Mint

Postby Oh well! » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Amazing! In the new world of next generation Linux desktops, someone has finally done something eminently sensible: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1851.
Oh well!

Postby PCNetSpec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:06 pm

I haven't seen MGSE in action, but from the blog description I'm at a loss to see much of a difference between MGSE and just selecting the "Gnome (Classic)" interface (from the cog on the login screen) in Ubuntu 11.10 ?

It seems like the same thing, but in green ?
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
The Linux Community Forum
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby Oh well! » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:25 pm

To put it a touch too bluntly: Gnome 3 has a future; Gnome 2 doesn't. Apparently the Gnome 2 codebase is complex and difficult to maintain whereas the Gnome 3 codebase is easier to maintain. As a result, selecting Gnome Classic is likely to cease to become an option far sooner than Gnome 3 with the MGSE makeover. There might be a Trinity-style continuation of Gnome 2, but it would be hard. So Gnome 3 with a Gnome 2 style of workflow is eminently sensible: that workflow pattern is very popular, and the development of the desktop environment is more secure. It's not just Gnome 2 in grey and slime colours.
Oh well!

Postby Rhakios » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Interesting, I've only tried Mint's XFCE version, but I might give this a go when it comes out. It's good to see a distro being focused on its users' experience, yet without getting stuck in the past in some fuddy-duddy manner.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby PCNetSpec » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:37 pm

Oh well! wrote:As a result, selecting Gnome Classic is likely to cease to become an option far sooner than Gnome 3 with the MGSE makeover.

I fully understand that Gnome 2.x is now a dead end, but I think you're misunderstanding me .. the "Gnome (Classic)" option in Ubuntu 11.10 isn't GNOME 2.x at all, but sat on top of GNOME 3.

AFAIK gnome-session-fallback does the same things that the Mint blog posting suggests MGSE does.

eg. menu's at the top left, 2 panels, windows listed on bottom panel, system tray in the panel, etc.

This is *not* the same as "Ubuntu (Classic)" in Natty, which *was* Gnome 2.x .. this is Gnome 3 behaving like Gnome 2.x, something that *already* exists in Ubuntu 11.10/GNOME 3, so what are Mint really doing that's different ?

I'm sorry, but to me this smacks of Mint backing out of their suggested commitment to continue to use GNOME 2.x, and claiming something that already exists (all be it un-mint-ified) as their justification.

I must add, that at this point I'm going by the blog description, and have no personal experience of the Mint Gnome Shell Extension.
Last edited by PCNetSpec on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WARNING: You are logged into reality as 'root'... logging in as 'insane' is the only safe option.
Linux in the UK
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Postby guy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:58 am

PCNetSpec wrote:I fully understand that Gnome 2.x is now a dead end, ... to me this smacks of Mint backing out of their suggested commitment to continue to use GNOME 2.x.

Eh? You expect Mint to commit themselves to delivering a dead end? For how long?

They offer two different routes to the gnome 2 experience - mgse (g2 lookalike) and mate (g2 fork). How many more do you want?
"Klinger, do you know how many zoots were killed to make that one suit?" — BJ Hunnicutt
guy
LXF regular

Postby PCNetSpec » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:21 am

i didn't suggest they would, could, or should stick with G2 .. on the contrary, in a topic on another forum I suggested they wouldn't/couldn't:
http://linuxforums.org.uk/index.php?top ... 9#msg68919
It was Mint themselves that made that suggestion and won a lot of new users because of it (their own admission).

My point about MGSE still stands .. AFAIK there is little new other than a Mintified version of gnome-session-fallback.

I'll admit that I don't remember ever having read a *promise* to stick with G2, but they certainly *suggested* as much.

MATE, according to the blog post is still a big IF .. but fair enough, IF they include it.
Linux in the UK
PCNetSpec
LXF regular

Return to Discussion