Installing Mint 11 from coverdisk

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Installing Mint 11 from coverdisk

Postby kaper » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:49 pm

I downloaded the DVD-iso of Mint 11. After wasting 4 DVD's (partly my own fault) I decided to try booting in another way: I mounted the image loopback, copied all the files to a special partition and booted into that partition. That worked: I got the same desktop as booting from the DVD. But installing went wrong: The installer told me that device /CDROM had to be unmounted to be able to continue, but the mounted /CDROM was the device (partition) where the install-files were on, so that cannot be unmounted per definition.

So I tried the coverdisk from LXF 148 but that had exactly the same result.

A couple of weeks ago Viking777 posted more or less the same problem, but a solution was not given. If we both have the same problem (and I have it in two quite different situations) is there something wrong with the installer?

Hans Kaper.
Hans Kaper
kaper

Postby kaper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:09 pm

For those who are interested: my second problem is solved. Installing Mint from the DVD succeeded after I removed the Mint-files from the harddisk-partition. In some unknown way, after booting from the DVD, Mint switched to these files on the harddisk, started installing from there and stopped with the message: device /CDROM has to be unmounted to be able to continue. With these files out of the way, installing from the DVD was succesfull.
Hans Kaper
kaper

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs