Linux compatible laser printer.

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Linux compatible laser printer.

Postby Xraynorm » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:37 pm

Hello.

I would like to buy a color laser printer with a network port. Could someone recommend one that fully works with ubuntu/mint.

Im currently looking that the HP Color LaserJet Pro CP1525N

Has anyone got this printer?

Thanks.
Last edited by Xraynorm on Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200 + 030, AMD K62-500, Sempron 2200, P3 Laptop, P4 Laptop, Acer One Netbook (Linux).
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:25 am

All HP's fully work with Linux; HP distributes the hplip software that ensures this.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:52 am

johnhudson wrote:All HP's fully work with Linux

Not quite, apparently:

http://www.openprinting.org/printers/manufacturer/HP

A few "paperweights" listed at the bottom of that link although, as always, the quality of the reports on a site like that is dependent on the people making the reports.

@Xraynorm, this won't tell you whether the printer actually works with the bundled driver, but you can see whether the driver for a printer you have your eye on is included with Ubuntu/Mint. Open the "Printing" Utility > click on "Add" > highlight "Other" and type "http://" (no quotes) in the device URI field. Click on forward, choose HP and a full list of supported models will appear. (Or wait a minute or so after the add window opens until "LPT #1" and/or "Serial Port #1" and/or whatever ports you have appear, select one of them, click on forward and go straight to the printer list.)
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby Xraynorm » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:03 pm

It should be supported :-

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/mo ... 1525n.html

However, it would be nice to have some 3rd party verification before I bought it.

If I buy it I will post back...
C64, Amiga 500, Amiga 600, Amiga 1200 + 030, AMD K62-500, Sempron 2200, P3 Laptop, P4 Laptop, Acer One Netbook (Linux).
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Postby Nerdy-ish » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I am interested in a colour laser printer as well. Does the fact that you can have a network connection more or less guarantee it will work under Linux, and not end up with a Windows GDI printer?

I've had it up to hear with USB and it's problems, especially hogging CPU resources until a taxk finishes.
Nerdy-ish

Postby roseway » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:47 pm

I've just bought a Canon MF8030Cn laser all-in-one, and printing works fine with my Debian systems, although I had to hunt down the 64-bit drivers. It's connected via ethernet.
Eric
roseway
LXF regular

Postby johnhudson » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Nerdy-ish wrote:I am interested in a colour laser printer as well. Does the fact that you can have a network connection more or less guarantee it will work under Linux, and not end up with a Windows GDI printer?

It suspect it depends on two things: the maker and what you send to it; AFAIK HP have always used their own control language and, as they actively support Linux drivers, there should not be any problems though there is a known problem with DCHP which makes having a static IP for a network printer more reliable.

Nerdy-ish wrote:I've had it up to hear with USB and it's problems, especially hogging CPU resources until a taxk finishes.

Thiat could be because it is one of those printers that relies on the computer to do the work rather than having its own software to do things. Altrnatively, if you have a CMYK printer and you send it CMYk, you don't have the overhead of converting it to whatever standard the printer supports when it is different from the standard you have used when you sent it.
johnhudson
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:51 pm

I have an HP wireless printer, Photosmart eA10, not quite the same as a network printer, as it does not have a network cable socket, but nevertheless it works superbly for all computers on the network, whether they are connected by wireless or cable to the router.

Using the router web browser setup page I have set a network Reserved Address for the printer to ensure that it stays at the same local IP of 192.168.0.7. This should remove the possibility of the printer not being found after a router reboot.

It needed an update of hplip from the HP site to get it to work on my Ubuntu 10.04, but worked out of the box on Ubuntu 11.04. The hplip toolbox is a terrific utility, better than any other linux printer facility I have found; better even than many windows print utilities.
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

What doesn't work with Linux?

Postby garydale » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:18 pm

For colour laser printing I started with a Konica-Minolta 2300 then purchased a 2400 when the 2300 ran out of toner. That's the economics of it. It was cheaper to get a new printer on sale than to refill the toner cartridges.

Neither printer was supposed to work with Linux but both did courtesy of a driver on SourceForge. I was even able to compile it for 64bits.

Nowadays Konica-Minolta are apparently putting a little more effort into Linux.

Currently I'm using an HP CP1215 which is listed as supported. It works as well as the others did.

I also still use an old Samsung ML-1210 monochrome laser which continues to work well. Samsung was advertising Linux compatibility back in 2002 when I got it.

Bottom line is a printer is more likely to work under Linux than under Windows these days because manufacturers don't update older drivers to work with new versions of Windows.
garydale

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Check out
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collabor ... enprinting
Most major manufacturers now support Linux, with some notable exceptions (Canon and Brother, mainly).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby ferrari » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:35 pm

Code: Select all
Most major manufacturers now support Linux, with some notable exceptions (Canon and Brother, mainly).

Actually, Brother has excellent Linux driver support for most of its printer range. I've had the pleasure of using a number of models (both inkjet and laser) in the work environment. (I have also just bought myself a small office scanner/mono A4 laser printer (DCP-7055) with no issues.

http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... index.html
ferrari
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:10 pm

I've probably just been unlucky then, Both brother printers I tried were unsupported, but that was a while ago.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby tobasco » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 am

RE ... there is a known problem with DCHP which makes having a static IP for a network printer more reliable.

Generally DHCP can be configured to hand out the same IP address to a given network device (eg printer or printer server) by allocating an IP address to that network device's MAC address. You get the network device MAC address (for a printer or print server, print the configuration page). Configure the device to receive a DHCP address. Then configure the DHCP server to serve that MAC address with a particular e.g. fixed IP address. Do that part in your DHCP server, e.g. your router's DHCP configuration panel or in your PC DHCP server.

I do this and it works fine.
tobasco

Postby Xraynorm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Decided to go for a mono laser printer in the end.

Samsung ML-2525W Wireless Mono Laser Printer in Black

http://www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk/Sam ... ML2525W-BK

All working fine, even over wireless.

Good deal for £50 inc p&p.
Xraynorm
LXF regular

Return to Hardware