LXF 147 - upgrading Fedora 14 to Fedora 15

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

LXF 147 - upgrading Fedora 14 to Fedora 15

Postby John Lumby » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:16 am

I've tried upgrading two different Fedora 14 systems to F15 using the LXF 147 side2, (one under VirtualBox and the other under Vmware), and each time, the installer goes into a 100% CPU-busy loop while upgrading this package:
(from the upgrade.log)
Upgrading selinux-policy-targeted-3.9.16-23.fc15.noarch

At first I thought it was a problem with the VBox itself, but since it happened again under Vmware and I looked more carefully, I'm pretty sure it's a loop in the anaconda installer.

I am going to try again after first removing this selinux-policy-targeted package from the F14 system and see if it then runs through, but wondering if anyone else has tried this? (who has this package installed). Or if you are about to, be prepared ...

BTW - I think it's a great idea to include the full Fedora distro with the Packages repository on the LXF DVD - thanks to whoever decided to do it (Mike?). It has saved me a lot of network time (or would have if it had worked!). I hope you do the same again for F16.

John
John Lumby
John Lumby

Postby lok1950 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:48 pm

Hi john did you run the pre-upgrade package before doing that upgrade.Otherwise fedora recommends a clean install.

Enjoy the Choice:)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby John Lumby » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi lokl950,

No, I did not run preupgrade. Interesting to read your interpretation of that as being mandatory before running the anaconda from the DVD (other than fresh install which I don't want to do). Below I've pasted what
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading
says. My reading of that is that using the DVD and using pre-upgrade are alternatives, not a sequence, and DVD is the preferred method and preupgrade is a second-best.

Have you used pre-upgrade yourself? I don't know what repo it uses for the F15 Packages but I'm guessing it's the web? Because it doesn't seem to mention requiring a DVD and uses the term "downloads". The whole idea of the DVD is to use local media.

I am very interested to hear if you or anyone else can give a more detailed comparison of the two methods (and especially can you really confirm that using the DVD without pre-upgrade is not supported?? Or am I mis-understanding you?)

Cheers John

(BTW I will post later today on what luck I get using the DVD after removing the offending selinux-policy-targeted rpm)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
. Using the DVD to upgrade :
Recommended upgrade method
This is the recommended method to upgrade your Fedora system
The process of using Anaconda installer to upgrade is the recommended and supported method and detailed in the Fedora Installation Guide. The Release Notes also have some useful information.

. PreUpgrade
PreUpgrade is an application you can use to upgrade Fedora while continuing to use it. PreUpgrade downloads the packages required for the upgrade. Once everything is downloaded and set up, you will be notified that you can reboot at any time to start the Fedora upgrade. This method of upgrading is explicitly tested and supported by Fedora. To read more, refer to PreUpgrade.
John Lumby
John Lumby

Postby lok1950 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:05 pm

I have not had much success upgrading fedora the only time it worked was a jump from fedora 7 to fedora 10 which meant that most packages where replaced. Therefore I have always preferred doing a clean install after doing a back up of /etc.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby Ram » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 am

This could or could not be related to your issue

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

upgrade of F14 to F15

Postby John Lumby » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 pm

Thanks lokl950 and Ram.

After restoring from backup (yet again), removing selinux-policy-targeted and a couple of other selinux/policy-related fc14 rpms that I didn't like the look of, the upgrade from the LXF147 DVD went much better, and did complete the installation of new packages, but once again went into a CPU-busy loop while in its cleanup phase, just after successfully cleaning up gnome-backgrounds-xxx . This was not too bad - the system was immediately usable and just required upgrading a handful of fc14 packages manually, and it's now (I know I shouldn't say this) fine.

I've upgraded Fedoras many times in the past and never hit any logic problem like this before (I have hit problems of running out of disk space, memory, etc etc, all easily correctable).

Ram, I don't think that bugzilla looks like a match of what I hit. Mine is (I'm pretty sure) a bug in anaconda itself, or one if the scripts it calls. I have seen reports of similar looping problems here and there but not this exact case.

Anyway, if any other LXF reader is thinking of upgrading F14->15 using LXF147, I would recommend either removing the selinux-policy-targeted and friends, or trying pre-upgrade, or else bite the bullet and download a more current F15 (I think the LXF147 was F15 rc2?) Unfortunately Fedora LiveOS still does not support upgrade.
John Lumby
John Lumby

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs