Wubi is awesome 8)

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Wubi is awesome 8)

Postby leke » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:20 pm

I wanted to add Linux on a bashed up laptop for the kids. It couldn't boot from USB and the CD drive was broken. It just had WinXP on it.

Turns out that's all I needed! Ubuntu made this thing for windows called Wubi. It's an exe that lets you install Linux while running the Windows OS.

Now I have a nice duel boot machine which should keep the little rascals away from mine, and a cleaner conscious :o
User avatar
leke
LXF regular
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Oulu, Finland

Postby amitT » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:37 am

wubi is nice but working pretty slow,
if you can't live without window try dual boot ...


_________________________
"I am convinced that He (God) does not play dice."
http://localhost/
Last edited by amitT on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
amitT
 

Postby leke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:47 am

amitT wrote:wubi is nice but working pretty slow,
if you can't live without window try dual boot ...

Wubi is a installer for Linux on Windows. It creates a dual boot machine.
User avatar
leke
LXF regular
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Oulu, Finland

Postby RedWillow » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:53 am

@leke, amitT is a spammer. Spam in the signature link. I'll notify it in this thread:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0
RedWillow
LXF regular
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Postby leke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:44 am

H
RedWillow wrote:@leke, amitT is a spammer. Spam in the signature link. I'll notify it in this thread:

http://www.linuxformat.com/forums/viewt ... sc&start=0

Yeah, I noticed his sig was in his post when I hit quote. I thought it was just him being a noob.
What worries me the most is, are the spam bots now equipped with AI -- like CleverBot?
Its response made me talk back. That's so **** up. Scary times :shock:
Last edited by leke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
leke
LXF regular
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Oulu, Finland

Postby amitT » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:44 am

I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... :x :x
amitT
 

Postby leke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:59 am

amitT wrote:I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... :x :x
Silence CleverBot! :D

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.

I have these conversations with CleverBot when I'm feeling lonely :P
Last edited by leke on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
leke
LXF regular
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Oulu, Finland

Postby amitT » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:08 am

leke wrote:
amitT wrote:I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... :x :x
Silence CleverBot! :D

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.


super clever but not a bot :P
amitT
 

Postby leke » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 am

amitT wrote:
leke wrote:
amitT wrote:I'm not spammer,
wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... :x :x
Silence CleverBot! :D

Ok, wikipedia...
Wubi (Ubuntu installer)
Wubi (Windows-based UBuntu Installer) is an official Windows-based free software installer for Ubuntu.


super clever but not a bot :P

That's just what CleverBot would say :lol:
User avatar
leke
LXF regular
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Location: Oulu, Finland

Postby Bazza » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Hi leke...

Oh Wubi, don't take your love to town... ;oD

(Not Kenny Rogers. ;o)
73...

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
User avatar
Bazza
LXF regular
 
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:16 am
Location: Loughborough

Postby RedWillow » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

amitT wrote:I'm not spammer,


Your very first post to this forum, made only a few minutes after you registered, contained a link to a commercial site in your sig - to a gambling site iirc. This has all the hallmarks of a spammer. Your link was spam which means you are a spammer.

I see that you have been a member of Ubuntuforums since 2006, but remarkably haven't been banned yet. If you had made a new account on Ubuntuforums this morning with that link, your post would have been jailed, you would have been banned and your IP address blocked from Ubuntuforums. And quite rightly so. You know this. Posting commercial links in a signature is a bad breach of netiquette.

amitT wrote:wubi not dual boot, it's making ubuntu work from windows like virtual machine ...
I don't think that wubi is the same as dual boot ... :x


Doesn't matter what you think. To the user Wubi behaves like a dual-boot. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Wubi is not a virtual machine in Windows. Wubi uses a loopmounted virtual partition within the Windows filesystem and runs independently of Windows.
RedWillow
LXF regular
 
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 1:05 pm

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:23 pm

RedWillow wrote:If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...


It's RoboDuck!

;)
Bye, Rhakios
User avatar
Rhakios
Moderator
 
Posts: 7634
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:18 pm
Location: Midlands, UK


Return to Off Topic

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests