Update disc

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Update disc

Postby heiowge » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:44 pm

There was a letter in this months mag from a guy who wanted a coverdisc with updates for the core distros. While I think this is a great idea for someone with low bandwidth it becomes problematic for someone with a monthly disc to put out. Filling it with updates means no room for other stuff.

From your point of view, it's not a good idea. BUT... it's still not a bad idea for someone to do just that and sell the discs to people who live in areas with low bandwidth. Say, a monthly subscription of a few pound gets them a monthly update disc that comes with all the updates that have come out for their distro of choice.

Everyone's a winner. People who make the discs get a small cash amount to keep them in business. The client gets regular updates without having to get expensive broadband services that may not available in their areas.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:21 pm

But where would you draw the lines?
Which repos would be included?
What packages not in the default install would be added to the disk? There are many thousands for some distros, and the disk would be huge.

I can see the reason behind the idea, but I do think it is just impractical, and would never work in the real world.

Am I wrong? Perhaps I am. What do others think?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:46 pm

Maybe you could charge a fraction more and make it bespoke... just let them know if you install any other programs so they can add the updates.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs