Forking Gnome

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Forking Gnome

Postby heiowge » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:07 pm

Nice play on words, that title, eh? :twisted:

What I mean is, I can't stand unity. I'm not enamoured with KDE, and XFCE looks cool, but isn't 100% what I'm used to.

I'm sure I'm not the only person wondering this, but... Why hasn't anyone forked Gnome 2.*?
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:45 pm

So use Squeeze as Debian hasn't jumped on the Gnome 3 band wagon yet.And there are ways of changing the new shell so that it looks and behaves like Gnome 2.* so you have to install a few extra packages.

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby heiowge » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:50 pm

I thought of that, but sooner or later those Gnome 2 distros are gonna have to switch to Gnome 3 unless a viable alternative presents itself.

They managed a fork with OOo. All it took was a bunch of people who had the skills being unhappy with the current situation to make a stand. Ok, maybe it was a little more complex than that, but you get my drift here.
i5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asus H87M-E motherboard, 8GB DDR3, 2GB DDR5 nVidia card, 2x500GB Seagate hd, Coolermaster 750W PSU running Mint 16 MATE and Win7

eeepc 1015PX, 1.66 Ghz Intel atom processor, 2 GB DDR3, 320 GB hd, Mint 14 MATE. Fan needs fixing.
heiowge
LXF regular

Postby ajgreeny » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:27 pm

I thought it was going to be possible to run the equivalent of classic gnome2, ie panels and menu, etc etc, with gnome3/gtk3, and it would not be only gnome shell (or unity) available.

Have I misunderstood everything?
Xubuntu 12.04 user, and loving it!
ajgreeny
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:43 pm

ajgreeny wrote:Have I misunderstood everything?

I think you are right. There will be a so-called fallback mode in gnome 3 which will feel fairly familiar to those who pine after gnome 2. You only get a glimpse of it in the last less than a minute of this video, but it gives an idea of what to expect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaSgVQJxIos

Gnome panel brought up-to-date it seems to me. I just hope that distros make a better job than the dreadful default gnome theming. Not that the default gnome themes were ever particularly attractive anyway.

Rather makes a nonsense of all the drivelling and droning about Unity being the death-knell of Ubuntu. Once 11.10 and after have been transitioned to gnome 3, the people who don't like Unity will still have gnome panel to use instead.
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby lok1950 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:51 am

In the fedora version there is a package called gnome-tweaks that gives you several options including having nautilus control the desktop(The old Way) and check this https://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet for a few more tips.

Enjoy the Choice :)
Last edited by lok1950 on Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby guy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm

What is the common thread driving these new Gnome / KDE / Unity things that we all moan about? Can it possibly be attempts to embrace the smartphone-style UI revolution?

Some of us remember the rash of unhappy WIMP (Windows-Icons-Mouse-Pointer) UIs that appeared shortly after the Apple Lisa debuted back in the eighties, many grafted on top of some old established command OS such as CP/M.

The jump from desktop to smartphone is possibly not as huge as that from command prompt to WIMP, but it's going to take a bit of getting used to. True gimps still swear by the command shell - no doubt in thirty years time true desktop-bashers will still be swearing by the WIMP.

IMHO Gnome and KDE should get back to basics and let the touchscreen-friendly browser-is-my-desktop stuff spawn its own suites. It should eventually become possible to open one UI in the other, just as we today open bash from gnome or kde.

So don't fork Gnome, just do something else - like Google did with Android.

The Unix philosophy - do just one thing, but do it well .... blather, drone, drift ....
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Re: Forking Gnome

Postby RockDoctor » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:16 pm

heiowge wrote:and XFCE looks cool, but isn't 100% what I'm used to.
However, XFCE seems to be as close as you can get without keeping GNOME-2. My biggest gripe with XFCE (which is really minor in the grand scheme of things but for some reason really annoys me) is that I can't place an arbitrary amount of space between launchers on the panels.
RockDoctor

Postby Ram » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:07 pm

There's an old saying " If it ain't broke don't fix it "

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Bazza » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:17 pm

Or as someone posted on here some time ago...

If it ain't broke, keep fixing it until it is... ;o)

Bazza, G0LCU...

Team AMIGA...
Bazza
LXF regular

Return to Discussion